Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Only944 LED Headlight Kit

Has anyone replaced their sealed beam headlights with the ones Kyle offers? I just ordered a set since the lights on my 84 944 are just not quite bright enough for my liking.

I don't want to be a dick and blind other drivers but I feel like having brighter headlights will be a big safety improvement for me. The price for the whole kit is impressively low so just wondering if anyone has tried them out. If not I will report back in a few days.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Have 944, will restore

I haven't used them or a similar kit but I have been considering ordering the kit from only944.com. Keep us updated on how you like the kit, ease of install, and the difference it makes!
04 RX-8 Brilliant Black 6spd/ 04 RX-8 Nordic Green 6spd
84 Corvette 4+3/ 18 Camry SE
Old 11-10-2020, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I like the stuff from Only944. This is a new kit and I don't think anyone has it yet.

It's really cool that the kit uses a brand new glass H4 lens. Seems like you can't go wrong.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Kyle is great to deal with; his products are excellent quality.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Happy to report that the headlight kit worked great. Totally plug and play to replace the older sealed beam ones, probably took me 20 minutes this morning and it was freaking cold out too.

Went for a drive tonight and they are definitely better than the stock headlights. The low beams have more coverage to the sides, and the high beams are more narrow and straight forward. I feel like my chances of hitting a deer are slightly lower which was my goal. They are not crazy bright, which could be nice in some circumstances but not the best for other drivers. It's probably a good balance.

Old 11-10-2020, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Also excuse the messed lower bumper. You should've seen the other guy (it was a very sad encounter with a coyote last summer). Does anyone know about pulling these off and rebuilding them with epoxy/fiberglass? I've done some work on boats so I'm inclined to think it's possible.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho944 View Post
Also excuse the messed lower bumper. You should've seen the other guy (it was a very sad encounter with a coyote last summer). Does anyone know about pulling these off and rebuilding them with epoxy/fiberglass? I've done some work on boats so I'm inclined to think it's possible.
Looking at it it won't be an easy fix,those are not fiberglass ,there are made of polurethan ,your best & easiest fixe will be buying a use one then repainte it....Look at the ...924-944-968 Used Parts Classified ...here on the forum,there is always someone parting out 944.Good luck
Old 11-10-2020, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ok thanks for the tip, I'll have a look over there
Old 11-10-2020, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

My dad has fixed several of those lower valence with fiberglass!
Old 11-10-2020, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Does anyone know about pulling these off and rebuilding them with epoxy/fiberglass?
1986 951: PO had an animal strike: front bumper covering was repainted but nothing else was repaired. I had the bumper covering off to do other work and rejoined all the fractures using epoxy and fiberglass cloth. I assume this has worked as the covering has retained its shape but I cannot validate that all repairs are intact...

Unfortunately, the photo of the bumper covering repair is not a good one:

Other damage (not repaired/addressed):

Sometimes it's hard to understand what body shops do not replace/repair...

Peter
2013 Cayenne Diesel
Old 11-11-2020, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
trivgar...... Yes but take a good look a his valance ,it's not only a ? of fixing it ....how the heck are you gone to bring it back to it's original shape lol
Old 11-11-2020, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie944 View Post
trivgar...... Yes but take a good look a his valance ,it's not only a ? of fixing it ....how the heck are you gone to bring it back to it's original shape lol
Heat gun (or hair dryer): heat will usually make these plastic bit very pliable; if done soon after damage is inflicted (before creases take a set), damage will push out without hardly any residual deformation.

Peter
2013 Cayenne Diesel
Old 11-11-2020, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

You could heat it up and then brace it with something. Hard to tell from the picture but I bet it's fixable. I had one that looked worse
Old 11-11-2020, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
its very possible to rebuild it from fiberglass or epoxy!
Old 11-11-2020, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Graham View Post
Heat gun (or hair dryer): heat will usually make these plastic bit very pliable; if done soon after damage is inflicted (before creases take a set), damage will push out without hardly any residual deformation.

Peter
Good luck to you if you can bring back that valance using an heat gun or hair dryer ,just saying because mine was just a little off on my ex 944 & we had all the trouble briging it back to it's oe shape.But the ? really is,does it worth all the PIA troubles & time + $$$ trying to fixe it, when you can get a straight use one,my opinion is NO.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie944 View Post
Good luck to you if you can bring back that valance using an heat gun or hair dryer ,just saying because mine was just a little off on my ex 944 & we had all the trouble briging it back to it's oe shape.But the ? really is,does it worth all the PIA troubles & time + $$$ trying to fixe it, when you can get a straight use one,my opinion is NO.
My badmy opinion will be Yes ,even if you have to repaint it.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The coyote-strike was last summer, didn't know to hit it with the heat gun at the time...

I'll pull the valance in a few weeks and let you guys know how it does
Old 11-11-2020, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Have 944, will restore

Would love to see pictures of the lights from inside the car or against a garage door. I'm curious what sort of spread the lights have. I'm considering these for my 944 and its really nice to have someone that has a set to be able tonget feedback from!
04 RX-8 Brilliant Black 6spd/ 04 RX-8 Nordic Green 6spd
84 Corvette 4+3/ 18 Camry SE
Old 11-12-2020, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ERAU944
Same here, if the spread is good I'm all for using this inexpensive kit rather than going through the trouble of installing an otherwise unnecessary harness.
'14 Ford Focus ST - tangerine scream/black
'83 944 - zermatt silber/black - Dad's 40k mile time capsule. purchased in 09-1998 @ 18k
Old 11-13-2020, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I’ll be driving tonight and can take some photos for you guys.

Would anyone be interested in the original sealed beam headlights that I had in there before the swap?

Old 11-13-2020, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
headlight , headlight assembly , headlight bulb