Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to the timmer
How do you remove this F$@*ing front wiper motor?

Got a 1988 N/A. Wiper motor is dead. Got a new (used) one. With the Haynes manual in hand, I went to try and see how to remove the broken motor. The instructions are for pre 85.5 motors with only two differences on 85.5+ models. They say to just simply pull back the plastic shroud (no problem) and remove the three screws.

The problem is that the wiper motor is hooked up to that the three screws are facing down and inaccessible to just unscrew them.

I then proceed to see if I can remove the entire motor and wiper assembly but given the tight area that the entire assembly is housed, that appears to be impossible.

So, my question is what is the correct way to remove a 85.5+ model wiper motor

Old 08-22-2003, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Have to pull the airbox/blower out first. Six bolts a few vacuum connections and an electrical connection. Then fight the black caulking around the darn thing. Be careful or you will crack the windsield.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 08-22-2003, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Funny that you mention to be careful about cracking the windshield.............too late. : (
Old 08-22-2003, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
SoCal,
I've got 5 of the bolts off but the 6th one appears to be just under the passenger side wiper mount. How can I get that one off?

Also, even after removing 5 of the bolts, do I need to remove anything else as so far the blower does not budge one bit.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with a flex socket at the end of an extension.

Like I said "black tar like caulking". Have to start at one of the corners and pry it up. Think there are just six bolts. Have to check the unit in the garage.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 08-22-2003, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I was only able to remove the airbox/blower cover (took about a dozen screws) and the blower 'roller' out of the way. That still didn't free up enough room to remove the wiper assembly out of the way. The black base of the airbox/blower was just too damn tightly connected to get it out of the way.

I guess I'll just take it over to a Porsche shop and get them to do it.......then figure out what to do about the 6" long crack in my windshield.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Bumping this seriously old thread!

Im stuck with exactly the same. I have removed the cover (xx# screws), but I have not yet removed the "blower roller".

Is it a fact that I have to remove the entire airbox/blower or is it some other clever way to get the wiper motor and assembly out?

Last edited by tordfo; 09-13-2012 at 07:46 AM..
Old 09-13-2012, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I just did this job on my '87 and I had to remove the entire airbox/blower. Luckily, mine came out without too much on an issue. Once the airbox is removed, it's pretty easy to unbolt the wiper transmission and remove the transmission/motor assembly.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tordfo View Post
Bumping this seriously old thread!

Im stuck with exactly the same. I have removed the cover (xx# screws), but I have not yet removed the "blower roller".

Is it a fact that I have to remove the entire airbox/blower or is it some other clever way to get the wiper motor and assembly out?
Oh fun. I'm going to be doing this soon as the arm to my passenger wiper has popped off the post that's connecting it to the transmission on the driver's side. Unfortunately, I don't have the hands of a 4 year-old required to "reach in" and push the arm back on the post, and then get something to over it to keep the arm attached.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
When I did mine, I was able to get the wiper assy out without removing the blower assy.
See my original posting at wiper motor cleanup

Weltmeister Strut Tower Brace
1984 944 - Sold to rcecale
Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: