Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Post Wrecked my baby

Well, I am completely blown to say the least. Last night, after preakness, I was nice and toasty and had a more sober driver driving my car. We went to see a band at a club, and when we were going back to my place, we decided it would be a good idea to take a hooptey ride and have some fun. Well, we were going to baltimore, and we took a sharp exit ramp just "a little" too fast...aka 3 to 4 times the posted speed limit. It was a little damp out, and we started to over steer. It was a right turn, and of course the driver was not the most experienced driver with rear wheel drive cars, and braked, when he should have accelerated. The car skidded to the left, and he over compensated, and spun right, and careened into a guard rail. We were stuck on top of the guard rail. After a volenteer fire fighter and lady cop came to the scene, we were able to free the car from the exit ramp. I didn't examine the damage at the time because I was in total denial that it happened, but we took out about a 20 foot section of guard rail.

Well, today, I was able to take a long hard look at what actually happened. Last night, we drove about 20 miles back to my place, and the car had a LOT of vibration coming from the rear, and of course was not properly aligned and was crab walking. The right rear wheel (17" replica c2 wheel) was bent in about 4" at one point. The right rear fender is dented in and there is a sizable hole in it. The rocker panel is bent in slightly, and the plastic trim under the rocker panel is seperated. Some metal pipe coming off the transmission is bent, and it looks like the suspension is wrecked on that wheel. I might need a new gas tank. Other than that, smacking a guard rail sqare at around 60 MPH, I am suprised the car drove away. There might be a little frame damamge, maybe not. I just hope that the car isn't totaled in insurance terms, but maybe I do so I can get another 951. I don't know what the deal will be with another driver wrecking it as far as insurance goes. Of course, I am glad we were both fine, and wrecking a car was kind of fun so long as we didn't get hurt. I just wish it wasn't my car. *****. I hate this. No fun for a while. I will have to hold on to the all-trac for a while so I can still autocross. So what do you all suggest I do? I will probably have to replace the rear suspension, so maybe I will find a shop that will replace it with performance parts. If I can get both rear fenders replaced, maybe I will be able to get them in CF with a little wide body and put some bigger wheels back there. Maybe not. Oh well. You all will be hearing from me soon once I get an estimate for the damage and take it to a shop. God I hate this.

Old 05-20-2001, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
that's a bummer. at least both of you walked away uninjured.

i think your car is totalled. at least from the damage you describe. here in california, i think it's consider totalled if the cost to repair a wrecked car is more than 60% of it's retail value.

Old 05-20-2001, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: