Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post 951 Phone Dials- Original Finish??

What is the original finish on the phone dials? Mine seem to be painted. They're looking a bit tattered and I'm planning to clean them up and restore them while changing tires.

Dave951M

Old 05-22-2001, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
do ya really want to know?

Old 05-22-2001, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

ya blackfoot, let us know...

if it was me... and my car was white or black.. I'd paint them the body color.

Since our red 85.5 carries p-dials. Red just looks wrong to me for wheel color, so I gave them a nice siver-grey paint last year. Used a spray can... and some beer. I also painted my nuts gloss black and baked them in the oven, no salt, 400 degrees for 1 hr... (yes, I know what I just said)

http://i1.yimg.com/1/6172/g/cd23e75c.gif

[This message has been edited by p0r2chby (edited 05-22-2001).]
Old 05-22-2001, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
shiny black nuts
Old 05-22-2001, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

there were different finishes. some were painted and some were clear coated. if yours is a turbo they sould be clear coated. it may just be the clear coat cracking and yellowing to make it look like paint, i believe.
Old 05-22-2001, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Exclamation

I like to drink beer too, but I will never remove my nuts and put them in the oven !!!
OUCH !!!
Old 05-22-2001, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I was thinking of wiping them down with MEK and just repainting them. The lug nuts definately need painting as well. A pristine shade of fucha perhaps? My car is red, LM3A to be exact, so red would look tres tacky. The au natural finish with clear coat was thought of, but the metal seems to be stained a bit, then again, maybe it's just aging clear coat.

This is just one step in this car's conversion. My JC Whitney catalog arrived just yesterday and with card in hand, I have purchased the primo a primo stuff to set this ride up just right! For directional control, nothing could be finer than a chain steering wheel. To remind me where to place the right foot, a gas pedal shaped like-- a foot (a very BIG foot)! To get the babes to turn the head my way, a doggie with a bobbing head and eyes that light when the brakes do. To show my love of games of chance, a set of very large fuzzy dice! Since the ride is soo looow, curb feelers would tell me when the spoiler is in danger. My dash don't have no cracks, to keep it that way, a shag dash cover, in apricot no less! The CD is soo passe, an 8 track would be way cool. My shocks are not shocking, a set that would make this crate jump about 3feet would make it really corner good. Does Pirelli make full width whitewalls??....There's no place like home... There's no place like home...

What a nightmare, my 951 almost became a lowrider!! Hey- what's the JC Whitney catalog doin here?

Dave951M
Not all therapy requires a couch
But do all couches require therapy?
Old 05-22-2001, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Wink

Shaun
Old 05-22-2001, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

OK, I guess the board is not ready for a little bit of humor. Seems we can't have fun without poking on dead, no go issues.

Hey Blackfoot. whats your take on the wheel color?
Old 05-23-2001, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Banned

thanks Shaun...

how's the AC repair going
Old 05-23-2001, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I am getting a set for my 87 951 from Wheel Enhancement. They told me that they were originally painted silver and then clearcoated. Wheel Enhancement is selling me a set and taking mine in on trade. They came highly recommended, but they have been telling me they sould have them in a few days for over three weeks now. I call them at the end of every week and am told that they will call me Monday or Tuesday ready to ship. Yet I never recieve a call.... Has anyone had the same experience?
Old 05-23-2001, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
lemme guess, you're dealing with robert, right? i have made several purchases, and half the time i was sent the wrong part. big hassle. all i can say is that they will eventually get it right, but they are flakey and their customers service isn't good. but they have a good wheel selection, so i would probably go back to them if i needed something. i fully understand your frustration.

Old 05-23-2001, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hey, before you guys gag on roasting paint fumes, you should know that a set of twenty brand spankin' new, Made-in-Germany, black anodized aluminum lug nuts runs $50 at PartsHeaven.

Hate to say it, but that's a little more reasonable than $3.30/per from Pelican.

Old 05-23-2001, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: