Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cool Need you guys point of view.

I happened to come across a 944S for sale. The guy is asking $3500 for it. Here are the details. All the options work except the sunroof. It seems that it needs a new water temp sensor because as soon you turn on the car the water gauge jumps to the highest mark. The clutch seems to have a lot of play, so I am thinking that pretty soon will need a clutch job. The windshield has a crack and on of the fenders has a couple of dents. It has no records of the car, but the engine seems to be in good condition. No knocking, no oil leaks. So my question is. Do you guys think is a good deal, I may be able to talk to him and bring the price to $3000. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 05-24-2001, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Make sure the engine is in good shape!! Get the belt changed ASAP if you don't know, I didn't and I had to have my 944S rebuilt within a couple thousand miles.

Make sure it hasn't been wrecked a bunch and they fixed it in their garage, my car had that problem too (I'm a savvy buyer, eh?)

Otherwise sounds good.

-oliver
Old 05-24-2001, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
what year is the 944? lets see 1200 for cluch done by mechanic or about 500 if you do it yourself. about 500 for windshield. temp sensor, im sure aorund or less than 40. could you live with the dents, depending on how bad it is. sunroof not sure. think about it. i might ot might not be a good deal
Old 05-24-2001, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It is a 1987, 944S with 172000 aprox. Miles. I know it is a lot. The dents are not so bad; the sunroof may be a relay or a switch, no big deal. It has never been on an accident. The engine seems ok, it has a turbo water pump, Indication that has been updated. I checked on the windshield and its about $350. It has all the options for this model, which is a big plus. But I am still wondering about the clutch. More feed back and your opinions will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-24-2001, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Check out the ball joints too. With this kind of mileage, they could be suspect. Only way to fix it either buy a new arm or get a rebuild. Rebuilds are about $250 ea and then you need an alignment. Be very careful with this one.

Dave951M
Old 05-24-2001, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

172,000 miles!! I think you're going to have to fix alot of things! I think you should pass on this deal to be safe and wait for another one.

------------------
PORSCHE There is no Substitute!

[This message has been edited by 88_944 (edited 05-24-2001).]
Old 05-24-2001, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

172K? HA! It's almost broken in. Granted some poeple can dog out even a Porsche moter in a couple of thousand but unless it's been driven at the redline dont worrry about it. When I got my 944 it had 160K not a year later it has 180k on it. When we first got it home "this was after driving it from Cal to Athens Ga, We took out the motor and resealed everything. I took a look at the cilinder walls the were smooth as silk and none of the pistons has an ounze of play in them. I replced all the belts and been driving ever since.
Old 05-25-2001, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
When you say there is play in the clutch, do you mean the pedal, or slow in the drivetrain? You may be able to adjust out the pedal play, but slop in the drivetrain may be the infamous rubber-centered clutch. Replacing it with a new spring-centered clutch is a time consuming do-it-yourself project, but do-able.
Old 05-25-2001, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Exclamation

Get a carfax report on the car to really find out what may or may not have been done. A pre purchase inspection (ppi) is also money well spent. The dealer should go into the national computer and can sometimes get a history of the work that has been done. They can also find out about any recalls and if they were performed. Even if you do not want to ante up for a ppi, call and ask the dealer to check the history. Other than that, it sounds good.
Old 05-25-2001, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Man, every time you guys find a 944 in the paper you go nuts. Theres a new 944 in the paper every day where I live.
WAIT FOR A CAR WITH LESS MILES!!!
Just spend $5-6,000 on a car with less miles.
Old 05-25-2001, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
thats true, i've been looking for a little while and what i've learned is that you really need pacients. A new deal comes up everyday, i am actually going to look at an 87 with 85k on it and he wants 5500 for it.

but my first choice is an 89 with 81k and the 2.7 litre engine......7900, i would defenetly pay 7 for that, new clutch and wheels, nice car but too far away cant get there easily

where are you located?
Old 05-25-2001, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

dark124, I hope the color is not red! It sounds identical to my old 944S that I scrapped. I paid $3800 for that with 155k and perfect paint (almost) and body, needed clutch, ac worked fine, etc. They can be found pretty cheap.

Erick
Old 05-25-2001, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks to all you guys for advice. I think I am going to keep on looking. I would prefer a 951 if I fine one with the right price.
"Wolfrpi" it happens to be red with black leather just like yours. I sold my 86 944, but now I am looking for something better.
Old 05-26-2001, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

That sounds like my old car. It had 170,000 miles when I "junked" it. Sounds like someone rebuilt it..lol.

Erick

Old 05-26-2001, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: