Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy First DIY oil change. What did I screw up?

Hey guys. I just finished changing the oil myself for the first time. I started the car up and now a whitish smoke is comming out of the exhaust. For some reason I have heard that that means my car is running lean (or is it rich?). Here's what I did (all I did was change the oil!).

Jacked up the car.
Removed oil filler cap.
Drained oil for 1-2 hours.
Changed oil filter with OEM type.
Put in Mobil 1 oil (about 7+ quarts [its a turbo]).
Started engine (to check for leaks -- none).

Please help!

- Nick '87 Turbo (smoking like a *****!)

Old 05-26-2001, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
whitish smoke? water is leakin internally. blown headgasket maybe does the exhaust smell rich or lean?

[This message has been edited by asidrave (edited 05-26-2001).]
Old 05-26-2001, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Did you check the level on the dipstick before you started the car? It sounds to me like you overfilled it.
Old 05-26-2001, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just a guess. There should be a large 0-ring in the oil filler cap. Make sure that it's there. A leak could effect the emission control system. Also make sure that you have the correct filter!!!!
Old 05-26-2001, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to porscheboi928s/c944t/n
its normal....
Old 05-26-2001, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sounds like you overfilled it. Mine took about 6 quarts. Check the oil level and drain some if it's too high.

Dave951M
Old 05-26-2001, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

Is this the first oil change you ever did to your car? If it is, then the valve seals, turbo seals or pistion rings are leaking. The oil that you took out had some "No-Smoke" product in side the oil. It stop the car from smoking. I don't think over filling the oil will cause it to smoke. Is the smoke blue or white? If its blue, then it is oil burning. But if its white then it's some water burning. I don't think its the head gasket prob.

------------------
PORSCHE There is no Substitute!

[This message has been edited by 88_944 (edited 05-26-2001).]
Old 05-26-2001, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hoff944
From now on, you might want to remove your splash guard too. When you take your oil filter off, it all dumps down there and accumulates.
Old 05-26-2001, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Rollins Send a message via AIM to Rollins
I over filled my 944 once and it did in fact smoke. When I let some out the smoking stopped. It was a grayish colored smoke.
Old 05-26-2001, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Standard practice is to overfill by about 1/2 quart for track use. This causes no smoking on my car and others I've seen.
Old 05-27-2001, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Daedalus:

Hi Bro if you drain the oil cooler on your 951 as well as the oil from the pan and the oil filter you will need about 8 qts to re fill it now if she is smoking after you start it then it might be time to do a compression test also remove the intake hose that goes to the turbo and see if the turbo shaft is loose IE has side play it should also spin freely... if any side play is seen then it might be time for a turbo rebuild........Stan
Old 05-27-2001, 11:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
When the car is overfilled with oil, it's normal for the car to smoke through the exaust. An overfilled car has more pressure in the crankcase then a car with correct level of oil. During the intake stroke, there's a good vacuum in the combustion chamber vs. lots of positive pressure in the crankcase, and it's normal for some of the oil (fumes mostly) to work their way past the piston (rings) and into the combustion chamber, which would result in oil being burnt(Will foul the plugs, and plug the cat if prolonged).

Also too much oil can get pushed through the crank case breathing system, and into the combustion chamber, and get burnt.

Either way, too much oil is sure to cause some smoking. But I'd worry more about oil seals then smoking for a few miles! (Higher pressure might blow a couple).

PS: Lawrence, I usually overfill between 1/3rd a quart, and 2/5ths a quart, not usually half. The turbos have more oil capacity, so my guess would be that a little more oil would have less of a difference in a turbo car, but I personally wouldn't overfill it with anything more than half a quart.
Ahmet
Old 05-28-2001, 12:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to porscheboi928s/c944t/n
not to trash talk here but...if you all look at his post it states......first oil change...meaning that he is a newbie??..no offense....and he said whitish smoke...what is the whitish smoke....grayish??(little oil burning)..or white as in just the condensation and not clouds of white smoke...how does it look when engine is warmed enough???...pls.reply Daedalus....
Old 05-28-2001, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Drained about a quarts worth of oil. Everything running normal. And now that I think about it, the smoke was more gray than white. Now if you excuse me, I am going to hit my head against the closest hard object. Thanks guys.

- Nick

P.S. - For those who said I blew my head gasket, you owe me a new pair of underwear! I almost crapped myself after reading that!

Old 05-29-2001, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: