Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Jacobs Ignition

The ignition system arrived today. It is large and heavy. I am looking for a place to install the coil. This is not going to be the 1 hour installation I thought it was to be. Coil may have to go under mass flow intake on other side of engine compartment.

Will do an acceleration test in a few weeks when I have installed it.

Old 05-29-2001, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have been looking at the Jacobs Omni Magnum Ignition and Coil for my 83 for quite some time. I guess I was just waiting for someone to tell me that it's worth the money. Who did you purchase your aftermarket iginition from? How much? Keep me informed!
Old 05-29-2001, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
i installed a msd 6al ignition system with a blaster 2 coil in my 84 994 2 weeks ago. im not happy. the car dosent want to start up right away like it did before and the tach dosent work and the gas mileage went down, why? its hooked up correctly. i followed the instruction manual. anybody have any ideas why this is happening?
Old 05-29-2001, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
is there any real difference between msd & jacobs?

Old 05-30-2001, 12:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by asidrave:
i installed a msd 6al ignition system with a blaster 2 coil in my 84 994 2 weeks ago. im not happy. the car dosent want to start up right away like it did before and the tach dosent work and the gas mileage went down, why? its hooked up correctly. i followed the instruction manual. anybody have any ideas why this is happening?
hmmmmmmm, that is REALLY odd. the exact opposite should have occurred. my suggestion is to call up their tech support. they are really fabulous and they could help you MUCH quicker than anyone here. you might need to splice a wire, or check a connection somewhere.

good luck!

obin
Old 05-30-2001, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have to do some weekend traveling so I won't get to it for two weekends. But I shall report what I find regarding its performance regarding smoothness, mileage, and acceleration.

I'm going to try and put the coil under the MAF air filter. Since it is a track car, the CPU will probably go on the passenger side on the floor.

Both the coil and CPU are rather heavy.

[This message has been edited by Lawrence Coppari (edited 05-30-2001).]
Old 05-30-2001, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Question

i just got off the phone with msd. they told me if the 944 has a cd ignition the box will not work. they also told me to put the car in the "on" position and check the positive wire for the coil, if there is no power the box will not work. im gonna check it out today.
Old 05-30-2001, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Jacobs multi-fires each plug if it determines it is needed. I suspect it measures the impedance of the gap microseconds after firing the plug to see if there remains unburned fuel. If there is, it refires over and over for up to 15 degrees of crank rotation.

The voltage of the spark increases when rpm is on the increase. It will put out over 2000 watts I am told. There is also a button under the accelerator to run it wide open if you floor it. It all sounds good but the proof is in the eating.

We shall see. Just determined the coil will not fit under my MAF because of the motion of the headlight. Next try is front right in fog lamp area. I don't want to get rid of the windshield washer. It would go there.

Old 05-30-2001, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: