Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 Turbo Reliability

I just purchased an '82 911. The previous owner had done just about everything to the motor and drivetrain which is why I purchased the car. I put on a cat bypass and bursch muffler so I'm probably running around 200hp - not enough. I took it out to the track two weeks ago and found myself wanting more. A sad story is that my wife's 4 door SAAB 9000 beats me until I can get the car up over 4000rpm - but she still has more torque.

I have looked into an engine upgrade but am not willing to invest that kind of money. So my next option is to pick up a 951 - which I really like a lot. I don't know anything about the reliability though. I live in the Bay Area in CA and have seen a few with 250 to 270hp - that's a lot of power from a 4 cylinder.

My questions:
1. What should I expect in the way of reliability?
2. What sort of problems should I expect to encounter?
3. I have seen a few '86s for around $7,500. Is this a good price if it's in good shape? Otherwise, what do these normally go for?

I plan on racing the car so engine and drivetrain are much more important to me than a small ding here or there.

Thanks for your help
Jim

Old 06-03-2001, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up

951s are great cars. If you are going to spend more than 7,000 make sure that the car is strong with decent records. I'm hoping to get 400hp (flywheel) out of mine after a few more mods. They are very reliable if kept up properly (this is why records are so important). BTW I too had an SC - a 79 and also a 9000 Turbo (88), among other Saabs. They are supringly fast if modified also. I've got a custom boost control box for the 9000 if you are interested.

Erick
Old 06-03-2001, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to pschaars951
you've seen a few 86 turbos around the bay area? where? I keep looking I havent seen anything. And, I think, 7500 is a real good price for a good condition 951.

-pete
Old 06-03-2001, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
me neither, and i've checked pretty extensively. $7500 for a decent one is a good price for here in the ba.

you'll find they handle much better than the 911's. you'd have to pay at least 4x the cost of a 951 to get a 911 that handled as well on the track. and for only about $5k in suspension mods, the 951 will pretty much take on any production car on the track.

good luck in your search.

Old 06-03-2001, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Don't forget that from 88/89 the turbo gained a lot of power (up to 250 from 220) and got better suspension.
The 88 model was a special limited edition, but from 89 on this was standard (must have really upset anyone who brought the 88 special!).

Good luck.

------------------
NickB
'89 951

Old 06-04-2001, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: