Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Putting on new muffler. What will I need?

Replacing my old muffler with another OEM one. What should I have on hand while doing the swap? New gasket? New bolts? Has anyone done this? Any tips? Thanks.

Old 06-05-2001, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bay Area Patriot

Before replacing your muffler, be sure to soak your bolts in a penetrant. I use WD-40 and then run the car for about 1 minute to get the exhaust system hot enough for the bolts to loosen.

BE CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE BOLTS, MAKE SURE THEY ARE SOAKED COMPLETELY OR ELSE THE STUD MIGHT BREAK.

remove the muffler from the mounts and the flange on the catalytic converter. When you put the new exhaust system on, be sure that it lines up with the flange on the cat and connects to the bolts. Over the years, flanges get distorted, nevertheless you can still put the exhaust on. My uncle used a hammer on my cousin's 944 Turbo to re-bend a badly distorted flange on the cat in order to fit his GHL exhaust on.

BE SURE TO REPLACE ALL GASKETS THAT ARE RELEVANT WITH THE MUFFLER.

After aligning it and bolting it up, start the car for one min. then turn off and tighten the nuts up again. Then start again, get down on the floor and listen for any exhaust leaks coming from the flange on the cat. seeing thats where most of them are on an exhaust system. and you're all set!

------------------
Porsche. Es gibt keinen Ersatz.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

After the nightmare of removing the bolts on the exhaust pipe, I would advise you to use the stainless steel type nuts and bolts to replace the original steel ones, that way they won't rust, and they look a hell of alot better.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2001, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JH924S
Does any one know if the stock tip comes with the bursch steelpack exhaust. in its pic in tweeks or PP it only shows the muffler and pipe to cat. Is the old tip reusable w/o rewelding?

Old 06-05-2001, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: