Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
Post Performance or what??

Just wanted to see if anyone has had similar experiences, my car 86 951 has a Kn N cone filter on it and after i put it on the car it seems to give some jumpiness (surging)during slow speed driving,this is very intermittant I am thinking that it may have something to do with it taking the heat off the radiator, I know I have a intercooler but it was definitly running better when it was cold altho i did experience the same kind of surge while it was cooler out it has been 90 deg and the car is at 4500 above sea level, so with the heat it makes it think that it even higher also i find that if i go up the mountain to about 7500 ft level the car will almost die unless I hold my foot on the gas, the Idle gets real low about 400to 500 RPM, this is after i stop, it runs fine otherwise, as long as I am on the gas ......
The surging and the Idle cut out are 2 different problems..... any Ideas............Stan

Old 06-03-2001, 12:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I've got an 86 951, my K&N is the type for the stock airbox with the induction from the fender well. I've considered the cone filter, but haven't yet because of the heated air issue. Mine idles fine and doesn't surge. If you have the original airbox, with fenderwell intake, you could put it back on and see if the problem goes away. Hope this might help a bit.

Dave951M
Old 06-03-2001, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Petie3rd

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave951M:
Hi Dave thanks for the reply i think I am going to try this............Stan
Old 06-03-2001, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

the turbo would heat the air way hotter than underhood temps I believe. The intercooler then cools it down. My '86 951 was jummpy sometimes at very low speeds and it is bone stock. I ajusted the air screw to about 1.5 turns out and increased the screw that holds the throtle open a tad to get to about 1000 rpm idle and it really helped! I believe there is another problem that causes this but don't know what it is. Doing what i said ealier really helps though.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Petie3rd

[QUOTE]Originally posted by T86951
Hi thanks for the info sounds like something else to investigate, I put the old airfilter assembly back on the car runs better but it still has a low Idle at the top of the mountain, I will try the turn up the idle thing tho

Old 06-05-2001, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: