Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Angry MSD ignition....need help PLEASE

ok, now im really gettin pissed. i bought the msd 6al and the blaster 2 coil because some had positive experiences with it in their 944. i have an 84 944. my problem is that she wont start up right away like before, the tach now doesnt work, and she gets horrible gas mileage 16 mpg now vs. 23-25 mpg before. i sent an e-mail to msd and this is what they said:

Dear Sir,
Here are several items that you can check, first the only 2 wires that should be physically touching the coil, should be the orange and small black of the MSD unit. Check voltage at higher RPM's it should maintain above 10 Volts, if voltage is falling to much this can cause a miss. You may want to check spark plug wires for resistance, to much resistance on a wire may cause allot of RFI noise. When checking the resistance, shake them around and see if there is any resistance change or breaking up. We do not have a preference to spark plug brand, brand of choice. We do offer a starting point to get you started COMPRESSION SPARK PLUG GAP

up to 10.5:1 0.050"-0.060"
10.5:1-13.0:1 0.040"-0.050"
above 13.0:1 0.035"-0.045"
Open gap in 0.005" increments until best performance is obtained. The only thing we do recommend is to stay away from "hype plugs", Platinum plug are not recommended.

Thanks
MSD Tech

my spark plug wires are 8.5 mm purchased from europroducts about 6 months ago and i have bosch plugs. battery voltage is ok and i just gapped the plugs to .55 because .45 and .50 were the same results. i never had a problem before the addition of the msd ignition. i installed the coil before the ignition and noticed an improvement, since the ignition box nothing but problems. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx

------------------
PORSCHE, you wish there was a substitute

Old 06-04-2001, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by asidrave:

Hi As hey it sounds like it is time to back up on the performance mods, I am wondering if you additions may have affected the DME and it might have gone to a richer default setting I>E> drop in MPGs, as the resistance in the new pieces might change other parameters in the elex system of your car.........Stan
Old 06-04-2001, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
well, i got it because it says improved idle and gas mileage. there is supposidly a hp boost also. the car does idle better but everything else is screwed up. why me
Old 06-04-2001, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by asidrave:
Hi As so go back one step and remove the part.see what happens......stan
Old 06-05-2001, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
MSD makes an accessory to correct your tach problem. This is common on certian cars. My 86 turbo didn't need it. Your 84 has different gauges. Are your wires solid core? Solid core wires are not recommended with MSD ignitions.

Good Luck. Hope it helps.

-g

------------------
Geoff Baltz
'86 944 Turbo
Old 06-05-2001, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
how would i know if they are solid core? is there a way to find out?

Old 06-06-2001, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: