Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

any such thing as a little job?

So my windsheid washers never worked. I decided to handle it this past week. First I made sure electricity was getting to the pump by utilizing the multimeter. Through some troubleshooting determined the pump was bad (I guess 17 years was enough). So I ordered a new pump, along with a new tank cap (mine was like corn flakes) and a new T check valve to replace the one I broke while manhandling it.

Got the new parts yesterday. Rushed home from work to do the easy fix and feel good. Hooked it all up. Nothing. I became suspisious of the T check valve which seemed to be evacuating fluid back to the tank. So I ran a hose directly out from the pump, bypassing that valve. Now, fluid piddles out the left nozzle, sort of comes out the other. So then I started looking for an obstruction. There is a maze of check valves and hoses. My God! I summoned Haynes, but apparently they got tired and went home without covering this part of the car.

So then I was thinking the nozzles must be clogged or something. Figured I'd take them off and figure out a way to clean them, maybe use some CLR or something. BUt they can't be easily disconnected because there are power wires going into them. Cool, I have heated nozzles, but they don't work.

SO- with no reference materials, I don't know if the maze of valves and hoses is stock or not, so I don't quite know where to start. Of course, I COULD do an exhaustive one by one test of each part. But does anybody have a better suggestion? Or perhaps an ingenious way of trying to clean/unclog the nozzles?

So then it was too dark to work anymore. DAMMIT!!!

If someone doesn't have a better suggestion, I will begin the exhaustive one by one troubleshooting when I get home tonight. Unless its raining. Man, when I get to Boston I'll have a garage. I never realized how much a garage could mean. Sorry for the massive post.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
This last week found my washer did not work, but have not gotten round to check the cause yet. Did you have to buy a Porsche part or were you able to source a "generic" part? So what I thought may be a quick fix could end up a mission.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Re: any such thing as a little job?

Quote:
Originally posted by rammstein

I never realized how much a garage could mean.

Did I ever mention that I have a new 8 car garage??? (Heat and Air Conditioning soon to be added)

Yep - room for 8 cars. That's 8, 8, Eight.

(Although admittedly, with the cable televion, refridgerator, hydraulic lift, tools, Cadillac sofa, desk, beer keg coffe table, etc, I only put cars in the front half. Motorcycles and stuff and room to walk are in the back half - so I guess you could nit-pick and say it's only a 4 bay garage with 4 garage doors.)

Now - if I could just retire and actually spend some time there!
Old 09-25-2003, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I ordered all porsche parts right here at Pelican Parts (maybe if I keep plugging for them I will get a dicsount).

I went to pep-boys and got a generic pump at first, but by the time I finished retrofitting it to mount it, I just figured forget it, I'll pay the extra $13 for the real Porsche pump (VW/Audi) and snap it right in.

My case might be special, if your pump is all that's busted when you replace it it should work fine again. I clearly have more issues to deal with. Hopefully one of the resident geniuses will chime in????

p.s. Prof- I want your life. Why must you taunt me?

Last edited by rammstein; 09-25-2003 at 07:49 AM..
Old 09-25-2003, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
well he may have all that but remember he has a broken wiener....

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
Ate car garage!! Sweet!!!
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 09-25-2003, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Custom User Title

ha ha!

Well, perhaps if I rephrase my question.

Will it hurt the car if I put CLR into the washer tank to try and unclog it that way?
Old 09-25-2003, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

It ain't broken - just worn out!
Old 09-25-2003, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I've unlclogged washer nozzles by inserting a guitar string into the nozzle opening and fishing it in as far as it will go. It usually unclogs the nozzle/tubing enough so that I can get washer fluid to spray onto the winshield. Afterwards, I fill up the washer fluid resevoir with undiluted washer fluid that contains methanol. The undiluted alcohol should help remove any residue left behind in the lines.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Alright! An answer! I just happen to have guitar strings at home too. I'll post back tomorrow morning with the progress on this seemingly mundane quick-fix turned project.

Thanks for the suggestion Eric.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

How about compressed air? Seems to me if you have an air compressor, you could disconnect the fluid line and see if you can push the clog out. That would be "from" the exit point.

Just a thought!

As for cleaning chems, stay away from things with ammonia, or any alcohols Ethanol, methanol, Isopropyl, and such. All these chems have a tendency to leach the plasticizers out of certain rubbers, vinyls, and plastics. Thus making them brittle and prone to failure. Once unclogged, just plain soap, or perhaps wiper fluid , both will reduce the surface tension of the water, and make it clean better!

Give me a D Give me a Y Give me a S L E X I A!!
What do you get? Dilex.. Dislax.. Dylsia AHH F**K IT!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Trick from my great grandfather the electrician...

Make a resevoir around the part in question using plumbers putty (amazing and simple stuff) then fill with the cleaner of your choice being careful to "putty" over the paint.

This resevoir trick works very well for drilling through glass, just fill with motor oil to lubricate the bit, dissipate chunks and prevent breakage.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TCMdocs944
Trick from my great grandfather the electrician...

This resevoir trick works very well for drilling through glass, just fill with motor oil to lubricate the bit, dissipate chunks and prevent breakage.
Now that is flat out great! Just wish I would have known that when I wanted to plumb my old 120gal aquarium from the bottom! Better late then never, and Thanks!

Give me a D Give me a Y Give me a S L E X I A!!
What do you get? Dilex.. Dislax.. Dylsia AHH F**K IT!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Custom User Title

GIDDYUP!!!!

So-

I went through the entire system and determined that the lack of flow was happening right at the nozzle. I tried the guitar string trick. It helped a bit, but not entirely. The next idea was pure genuis. I sprayed WD40 into the nozzle from both ends and let it sit there while I watched Rambo II. Went back outside. Hooked everything up. Sacrificed a kitten. BAM!

It sprayed clear over the car! About 1 hour of aligning later, and I can now, for the first time ever, wash my windsheild!

NEXT UP: Trying to fix the cruise control. I'll make a new post about it with pics tomorrow, but in a nutshell when I pull it back to set the accelerator, the pedal does pull in and the car accelerates, but when I let go it does not hold at all. I am suspicious of the lever itself. The other two directions it does not seem to move... I'm ahead of myself. Pics to come tomorrow. Will have pics of lever plus the cruise unit itself.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: