Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post The redneck compression test

I was talking to my friend about doing a compression test on a 944 I'm about to buy and he said he did his w/o a gauge. According to him, if a engine has good compression, you will be able to feel a gush of air coming out of the spark plug hole. The only time he uses a gauge is when there's no gush and he wants to see how bad the compression is. Anyone ever tried this? I only plan on getting the 944 if it has good compression...so if I don't feel a gush of air, then I'm not gonna buy it.

Old 06-07-2001, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Exclamation

Use a gauge and get a reliable result. I don't think you can feel the difference between 5:1 and 10:1.

/Magnus
Old 06-07-2001, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to CrazySOB
USE A GAUGE
Old 06-07-2001, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
USE A GAUGE !

------------------
Drive it like you stole it........Justin
Old 06-07-2001, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Haha, all together now! Ok, ok, I will use a gauge. I stopped by Pep Boys today to look at guages. What size adaptor do I need on the gauge? There's also a kind with a universal rubber adaptor that'll work for most any size. Will that work also?
Old 06-07-2001, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Do not get the rubber universal ones they suck.
Old 06-07-2001, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Don't want to sound cruel either but, I'd seek another friend for advice. Hana pa'a (good luck), Neal
Old 06-07-2001, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
Quote:
Originally posted by kukunaokala:
Don't want to sound cruel either but, I'd seek another friend for advice. Hana pa'a (good luck), Neal
kukunaokala, I have a question for you. Do you know what poccalolo is? I know that it isn't spelled right, but it sounds kinda like that. I work with a guy that is from Hawaii(sp.)

------------------
Porsche, Through and through
Tim
'83 944

http://community.webshots.com/user/strayer15
Old 06-07-2001, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Well, with that kind of advice, why don't you get him to remove the spark plugs while you turn the motor over. You'll definately know if you got compression. Then watch the ambulence come by.
Old 06-08-2001, 01:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I don't think you need an adapter for the gauge ... since 944s use standard sized spark plugs (13/16 socket) ... I did mine a while back, and got numbers between 135 and 140 ...
So I'm happy.
Old 06-08-2001, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Yes, its the same as the gas gauge - just stick your head near the opening and 'smell' how much fuel you have left.

-Wayne

I always weigh my bank statements to see how much I have...
Old 06-08-2001, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Now wayne, no personal attacks or making fun of somebody. Rule # 1!!!!!!! Don't make me sick lordgromit on you . J/K.

Thank god its friday!

------------------
ribs, 86' 951
Old 06-08-2001, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Pretty sad when the guy that owns the board can't even make a joke on his own board. I wouldn't blame him if he took his toys and went home. Then we'd all be screwed, because of a few little boys.

Stop by more often Wayne, and let us know how the project 944 is coming along.
Old 06-08-2001, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Banned

ya wayne, how's the 944 coming...

FYI, I feel that Matt has been doing superb job... a real asset to the improved board...
Old 06-08-2001, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hey Wayne,
Did you know that as long as you have checks, you have money ? The amount makes no difference. I balance my account the same way.
Old 06-08-2001, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Banned

I know it's kinda hard for you to understand right now but you might do better on the board if you didn't bite the hand that lets you continue play.
Quote:
Originally posted by mideastmafia:
i'd say he has been a real ASS. not asset.

SHAUN

Old 06-08-2001, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: