Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to ds475
strange noise

today, i was accelerating from a stop, and while let out the clutch in first, i heard a weird high pitched kind of hum while releasing the clutch. i've never heard this sound before, and it did it a couply more times on the same drive. any ideas what that sound is/came from?
Old 09-28-2003, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Maybe theres a belt that is slipping or is going to break. But i dunno because, man, im just a kid
Old 09-28-2003, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

this might sound weird, but the brakes can actually make a very similar sound like you described when they need to be redone. roll the windows down next time and see if you can isolate the sound

and Rock: you're cool, man. you make me laugh
Old 09-28-2003, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Mine makes a whiny humming sound all the time now, it's related to the engine revs, regardless of clutch. I was told that the car is not 'venting' properly. Don't know if it's the same on yours but if it is, live with it. I had four Porsche Racing mechanics (one is a friend) stood around my S2 scratching their heads for over an hour with no result. On driving it they said that whatever it was, it didn't affect the performance. It's done it for over a year now and nothing has fallen off.

My brakes also whine occasionally just before the car comes to a halt, but only if I break gently - which doesn't happen often!
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 09-29-2003, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well ya... The "humming" you spoke of, at first, lead me to believe that you might need a fuel pump.. Since you do hear a humming sound when those things began to go bad. But now, I don't know. lol. Good luck with whatever it is though.

Drive safe all.
Bye.

And my brakes also make a squeaking sound when I break softly. But usually only when I just start driving the car, and the brakes are cold. So no stress; but can be quite annoying at time.
For example, if there's this fine looking lady somewhere, and you want to get her attention with your sexy vehicle... But the thing that got her attention was the shrieking of your breaks. Now if that's not sexy, I don't know what is.

Last edited by ldl; 09-29-2003 at 10:36 AM..
Old 09-29-2003, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

does the howl/hum start when you roll off and then go away as you speed up?
Old 09-29-2003, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

My car makes a humming noise coming from the ass end somewhere. It's loudest right at sixty then basically dissappears above sixty five. And I can kindof hear it below sixty if I shift into neutral while I'm coasting to a stop.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I mean it's only related to speed and motion not rpm
Old 09-29-2003, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

hmm, at that speed I don't think it's the brakes. I wonder if it's coming from the diff
Old 09-29-2003, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Check tire wear and wheel berrings.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

thought about the wheel bearings too but wasn't sure why the sound would go away at higher speeds
Old 09-29-2003, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

ok, tonight i was driving, and i figured out the conditions in which it makes the sound and where the sound is coming from. when i let out the clutch in first gear, around 2500-3000 rpms, i hear a high pitched hum come from behind me, obviously in the vicinity of the transmission... (or could it be the diff?) either way, i'm scared to death, i can't afford a big expensive fix, that will TOTALLY screw me. any ideas?
Old 09-29-2003, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hmmm.....

Try wrapping something with duct-tape...
=P

And if that doesn't work, I don't know.

Don't you hate when stuff happens.... Always at the worst times.
Good luck man.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

C.V. Joints? Check first to see if the C.V. bolts are loose, and if not maybe its time to repack them with some greese. The drivers side C.V. is directly above the exhaust, so check it first. Fix the inexpensive things first. Worry about transmission parts later!

1991 944S2 Rally #951 Rally-America.com
Old 09-29-2003, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

SoCal?
Old 09-30-2003, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Jack up the car and spin the rear wheels to see if you can get a better idea of where the noise is comming from. Replace the tranny fluid with some quality fluid. I use swepco. Inspect the old fluid and the tranny plugs for any signs of small metal peices. If you are not drag racing the car and it shifts properly I doubt its the tranny. Usually berrings whine, CV joints clunk. The berrings may not whine at higher speeds because of harmonics, but thats way above my head.

Start with the tires are they wearing evenly.

Change tranny fluid. Its good PM anyways.

Then check your brakes

Then check and if necessary repack or replace the wheel berrings.

While you are checking the inner wheel berings you can repack or if necessary replace the CV joints.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ds475
SoCal?
Been following. I've had clutch noises that sounded like that -- right before the clutch went out. Could have been the TO bearing.

Gordon had squealing noises from his stub axle because the nut was loose. Well the outer bearing had siezed and what was left of the inner race was grating on the stub axle. No grease at all!

Jack up the rear one side at a time and wiggle the whole wheel side to side. If the wheel has more than slight play then pull the wheel and check if the nut is loose.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 09-30-2003, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

it only occurs when i am letting out the clutch, and the engine is pulling hard, regardless of what speed i'm going, i can make it happen while moving, too
Old 09-30-2003, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Slipping clutch.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

i thought the clutch was in front of me, though. the sounds DEFINATELY comes from behind me. clutches are expensive/hard to fix myself?
Old 09-30-2003, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: