Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy not running... as expected

So i finally got around to getting and putting a battery in and as the guy said it didn't run. Now I have several questions:

I put the battery in and with the keys in my pocket the fan, break lights and buzzer in the car come on... whats with that?

So then I tried to start it and I could hear the starter spinning but nothing else happend. I tried giving it some gas but still nothing. Is the problem absolutely positively no compression? Is there something that I, with not just alot of mechanical knowledge and a Hayes manual, can check or should I just go head and take it to a mechanic who knows what he's doing, which I probably will any way. Thanks

-Jeff
- 1987 944

Jaguar:
- 1971 XKE SIII 2+2

Mazda:
- 1987 RX-7 SE
Old 10-01-2003, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Have you removed the t-belt inspection cover and checked the belt condition?
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-01-2003, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Re: not running... as expected

Quote:
Originally posted by jcaldwell
...I put the battery in and with the keys in my pocket the fan, break lights and buzzer in the car come on... whats with that?

So then I tried to start it and I could hear the starter spinning but nothing else happend... -Jeff

First, what fan? Is it the heater fan, or radiator fans? If it was the heater fan, break lights, and buzzer, you may want to try putting the key in and make sure the ignition is turned off all the way. Not trying to be a jerk, just like to cover all bases!

As for the starter spinning, is it turning the motor over? Or is the sound like just the bindex (Err.. spelling?)spinning?

It may also help if you said which car it is?

Give me a “D” Give me a “Y” Give me a “S” “L” “E” “X” “I” “A”!!
What do you get? Dilex.. Dislax.. Dylsia… AHH F**K IT!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2003, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey, mine used to be like that. I kept trying to start it, and i drained the battery once. Then i charged it, put it in again, gave it a little gas and it started up. I guess it wasnt getting any fuel or something, check to make sure youre getting fuel.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

heh sorry it's the 1987 944, and yea the ignition is all the way off . Its the radiator fan that comes on.
and I don't think the motor is turning over, I turn the key and it sounds like it normaly would when your starting a car but it just keeps doing that and not fireing up.

Thanks for the suggestions. I started looking at it a little late today and didn't have much time but tommarow i'll go back and check the basics.
- 1987 944

Jaguar:
- 1971 XKE SIII 2+2

Mazda:
- 1987 RX-7 SE
Old 10-01-2003, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Are you getting sparks at the plug? Are the plugs wet with fuel? Is there any fuel in the tank? Help us to help you here. Post some more info on the symptoms and checks done thus far.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 10-02-2003, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Custom User Title

The suggestion about the timing belt should be adhered to. Then, I don't know much else. I think making sure fuel is getting to the cylinders is a sound suggestion as well. Past that, I'd be hopelessly lost. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
With all the electrical stuff acting up me thinks the wiring has been seriously compromised. I would fix it first before even thinking about the engine. Well I would look at the timing belt.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-02-2003, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
I second Socal.

Remove the fuse/relay box. Check the conn. and wires on the back. I have seen these get damp due to leaks. Pay attention to the connectors for the DME Relay and Cooling Fan Relay. You will most definately need the DME Relay and a cooling fan relay is not a bad idea either. Clean all the fuse holders and fuse ends with emery. Under the hood reconnect all the connectors use dielectric grease on all connections to avert moisture problems.

Once the wiring issues are addressed and the vehicle will start (please check that the t-belts are intact) replace the cam belt and balance belt and all hardware that appear worn (adjusters). replace the water pump with the belts. clean and re-seal oil cooler. If this 944 is a nasty and the only maintenance done has been to replace the fuel you may elect to re-seal the front of the motor. You can tell by, if the cambelt cover is full of oil or that the motor has more oil on it than in it. (like mine was)

Oh BTW, welcome to the board,
Rick
has never left garage (yet)
Old 10-02-2003, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: