Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

This board compared to the Rennlist 944

I might get flamed here. I like the Rennlist board because a lot of readers and responses there. However, I also get lots of hostility (just by expressing my opinions) by a few of the young 944 owners there. I get the impression that the Renn board has more young folks than here? Not that I am an old fogie. I am 34 yrs old and I am done with the street racing stage and realistic enough to realize that my 944 is not the king of sports cars that will beat every single car out there on the road!
Old 10-10-2003, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You have to sort out the good replies and ignore the worthless ones.

RennList get's a lot of traffic but if you sift through the correct answers you will see the same few users giving them.

Now if you venture into politics watch out.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-10-2003, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rennlist also would like you to pay to be a member. You don't have to, but every so often there is almost a "flaming" of those who do not ante up by posters who are paying members. I personally do not visit very often anymore.

Just my observation. My registry number there was under 100; had been with them for years.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I would agree, younger listers indeed. I don't frequent as often as I used to simply becuase it's terribly SLOW. They either have a pathetic internet connection, or extremely slow servers.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-10-2003, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Slow? I'm on dial up and it seems that both boards load about the same. Could be your routing.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Could be, but it's slow both at home and at work. Work is a commercial DS3 shared between a few floors in this particular building.

Home is a company provided T1 connection, and I have had some routing issues on that in the past.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-10-2003, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
ive only browsed there a few times but i like it more here. im young(19 now, WooT!) but i like having the older guys around, nothing beats experience. plus i get all the answers i need here so why look somewhere else?

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Uhmmmm I have always found Pelican to be much friendlier....... even when we don't all agree.

The membership thing over at Rennlist is a little bit of a stretch and with that membership base and sponsorship that site should be quicker and more reliable IMO.

I tend to browse the turbo boards over there since they have some great archives of information but I have had all my NA questions answered here.

There are quite a few quality posters here that far out weigh some of the riff raff that hangs over there.....

Just my 2 cents
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 10-10-2003, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

egads socal, youre still on dial up?
we need to start a collection to get you on cable or something.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Was on cable. ComCrap. They took over from AT$T and raised the rates almost 40%!! Wanted almost $68 for a $30 service.

Now there is a bit of a competition going on between SBC and ComCrap. SBC's basic DSL is now $27 per month for a one year contract. Last week it was $30 a month. ComCrap tired $40 per month for the first three months but everyone chokes on the plus $60 per month after that.

Juno dial up is $10 per month. Can't get large files unless I do it over night.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Was on cable. ComCrap. They took over from AT$T and raised the rates almost 40%!! Wanted almost $68 for a $30 service.

Now there is a bit of a competition going on between SBC and ComCrap. SBC's basic DSL is now $27 per month for a one year contract. Last week it was $30 a month. ComCrap tired $40 per month for the first three months but everyone chokes on the plus $60 per month after that.

Juno dial up is $10 per month. Can't get large files unless I do it over night.
I WAS happy with ATT and now ComCast took over. I am paying $65 for cable modem. And I have no choice but ComCast in my area. They also hiked the rate of our phone. Those guys are crooks. Can't wait to move out of here and get cheaper rates through Yahoo SBC.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
Quote:
Originally posted by scheistermeiste
ive only browsed there a few times but i like it more here. im young(19 now, WooT!)
Hey, when's your b-day? I just turned 19 a couple days ago. Been a 944 driver and here at Pelican for 2 years

I personally like Pelican over Rennlist Rennlist is a great site, and very much like Pelican except much larger. Alas, that also means that Rennlist has more useless crap posted, and more smartasses. Hence I stay at Pelican. As far as technical advice goes, I think our guys- SoCal, AFJuvat, Britwrench, etc. cannot be surpassed.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 10-10-2003, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by esanmiguel
I WAS happy with ATT and now ComCast took over. I am paying $65 for cable modem. And I have no choice but ComCast in my area. They also hiked the rate of our phone. Those guys are crooks. Can't wait to move out of here and get cheaper rates through Yahoo SBC.

I feel your pain! Where are you moving too?
Old 10-10-2003, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Your post can get burried at Rennalist without an answer because of all the exessive Threads. This board you get more answers I feel but both are good I belive.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hey guys.
19 here also. [944 Driver for almost two years; B-day: Feb. 19]
Connection: Verizon dsl, 1.5mbps Down/128kbps Up.

And some commentary purtaining to this topic:

Well, I've done a little looking around previously over at Rennlist,
and no offense to them or any of their posters, But once I came
across Pelican, I haven't been back.
I don't know why really... But the majority of users here are
quite commendable and considerate; as well as nice.
And I must agree with "Nabeel" with his comments about this
board's technical guys. They've helped many, and no doubt ably
will help future users.
Don't get me wrong. There are users on Rennlist that are in truth
knowledgeable; but when it comes down to it, I, myself, like this
one more.

Oh, and before I click that "Submit" button, I'd like to thank each
and every one of you that have made this board what it is today.
Thanks guys.

Stay safe all.
Bye.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Never been on Renlist. Hanging out here and at 924.org takes up enough of my time. There are alot of great guys here

AF
AE
SoCal
Wolf1
Scott R
Drew
Ilikemy944
FR Wilk

and many thanks to Wayne for answering my questions and hosting this site, and to everyone else who contributes. I have rarely had a reason to search other boards. Pelican is the most freindly topic related board though.

I currently use dial up mine is only 11.99 a month and I need to save money for 924 parts heheheh. I used ATT for awhile but thats when they were trying to get into everything cable, internet, local phone service, and cell phones. Their product and customer service was terrible. I couldn't put up with it, I canceled everthing and got Direct TV, and went to Cingular.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
mu bday was july 30th. and to all you comcast guys and anyone with a gateway... you know when you call tech support and that guy says "ok now double click here.." and you could have sworn you just heard him say "and chop off your head!" real fast youre not hearing things!!! he said it i know this because gues what?! im the tech you called!!! hehe me and my buddies get board being on the fone for 12 hours strait and spice it up a bit hehe. i help you with your computer so you can come here and help me with my car!

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
I feel your pain! Where are you moving too?
Moving to Lake Forest..hopefully
Old 10-10-2003, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Been on renlist once, I felt intimdated for some reason. Maybe board layout? But I was a lurker here on Pelican for a couple of months before I actually joined. Once you go pelican you never go back.
pictures
Old 10-10-2003, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
rennlist sucks blah blah blah...

what kind response were u expecting to get? this same post came up over at rennlist the other day and the answers were basicly word for word...but refering to the other board...

why must they compete, go to which ever board you feel more comfortable on...hell, i go to both but i read probably 90% more over there...

as far as having people pay for memberships...all of you who have bought parts from pelican are paying for this site...a business pays for this BBS...rennlist is not a company, its is a couples spare time...i'd pay 10 times what i did if i had too and i know that a lot of the guys and girls over there would too...
Old 10-10-2003, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: