Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wheel locks

Hi!

I am searching for wheel locks in some autoparts pages,because i only have two of them.There are the original ones,with the little porsche key.

Ive read that they are not very hard,and they are easy to broke apart,is this true? May I put aftermarket wheel locks despite the original ones?

What do you use?
Old 10-12-2003, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The usual problem encountered with the original Porsche locks with the little key is you lose the key. Then you need to drill the lock apart. It is fine to use aftermarket wheel locks which frequently have an unusual nut design and you place the "key" over the nut then use a normal socket over that. Just make sure the nuts weigh approximately the same as your other nuts.

You should be aware that these locks will not stop a determined thief, even a not so determined thief. You just get a socket slightly smaller than the nut and bang the socket on with a hammer which locks it to the nut. Then remove as per normal.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
if you do go with aftermarket, make sure that it's not one of those piece of crap locks that you have to stick little slivers of metal in the key to get it to turn.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Macfreak007
pearldrum and i know this from experience ^^
Old 10-12-2003, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

So the major problem is to loose the key? well,i have it with the rest of the car keys at the same keychain (I suppose like you),and its one of my precious treasures
So if they are not very bad,i prefer the originals. Always,with previous cars,i used the wheel locks Iceshark says,but they seem easier to remove w/o the key.Original ones seems to fit very well,with very little room to do nothing.But im on the right side,dunno much about that

Here are two links, which one do you prefer?

http://www.***********.com/searchinclude2.lasso?-database=Items%20database&-layout=web&-response=record_detail.lasso&-recordID=36540&-search

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/autocat/load_page.cgi?page_number=7&bookmark=37&model=911E&currsection=miscel(at the bottom)
Old 10-12-2003, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: