Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to 924S-fast
Angry Wheel locks

I am very frustrated right now. I own a 1987 924S and I am PANICING!
When I bought the car from the dealership they did not tell me that the car had wheel locks. They all looked like lugnuts. Well, now I have a flat tire and I need to get the wheels off but I dont have the key. the lock is composed of a plastic lugnut looking deal with a lock on the inside. Here is the lock I have:
[IMG]http://www.************************/ProductPage.aspx?productname=Genuine+Porsche+Wheel +Locks&productType=20&productid=102928[/IMG]

could anybody help me find just a key for this mother****er or send me theirs for a quick period of time? I would pay them, but mostly, I just need to get these ****ers off!, lol

Cody
please reply at: the_one_cb_sk8er@hotmail.com
Old 10-13-2003, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Take it back to the dealer and have them remove the locking lug nuts.

Some take a 12 point deep socket of the proper size and drive in onto the nut part with a hammer. Then undo the nut.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-13-2003, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thanks alot for your input, does anybody else have any ideas/background knowlege?
Old 10-14-2003, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 924S-fast
thanks alot for your input, does anybody else have any ideas/background knowlege?

What? You don't have the balls to hold the dealer accountable for their screw up?

Wasn't me that put them on your car.

Try the deep socket thing.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

do the socket thing, it will work
Old 10-14-2003, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You can rake pick these locks in about a minute with a little finesse. I'm pretty bad with locks and managed it in 3-5 minutes with a couple of small jeweler's screwdrivers (from a crappy set like you would get at the dollar store.) First I wedged a piece of cardboard between the locking lug cover and the lugnut bore to keep the cover from turning, then raked the lock by placing a little turning pressure on (like you do with the key) with a larger screwdriver and raking the tumblers with a very small one.
When they open they don't turn much so you might be a bit suprised. The first one might take a few minutes but the rest will open easily once you have the touch.

Rake picking detail:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/lock-picking3.htm

Good luck,
-Joel.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Macfreak007
take it to any porsche deal they should have a master set of keys and would be able to take it off pretty easily, and probably even for free, depending on how nice you are
Old 10-15-2003, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The link he refers to shows the type of "locks" that use a specially configured socket. No tumblers.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Macfreak007
I know, i know exactly what they are different size sockets and stuff, the dealers are supposed to have a master set, and they did when i went there to try and get mine off... but that was non sucessful
Old 10-15-2003, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
....take a 12 point deep socket of the proper size and drive in onto the nut part with a hammer. Then undo the nut.
Try this for sure.... most tire shops have sockets they use to try and remove bolted lug nuts the same idea that Socal gave you. They just muscle it off. Destroys the lug nut... but who cares...
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 10-15-2003, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Sorry I did not see the link. However those rounded locks are also pretty easy to get off. Get some nails that are about the size of the cuts in the round lug. Cut them to length, removing the heads. Slap a little thick grease in the cuts and 'glue' in the nails. You might want to cut the point of the nail off at an angle to leave a little ramp to make it easier to hammer a socket on.

Then hammer a socket onto the wheel lock with the nails 'glued' to it. The nails deform somewhat but will transfer torque from the socket to the lock. You should not have to hammer too hard if your socket is the right size and your nails are pretty soft. If a nail is in just the wrong place for your socket (right on a point) take it out, you only need maybe four. A 12-point socket really helps, and SAE or metric depending on the size this all works out to. I was able to get a socket on with light taps from a normal hammer.

Once the lug is off, I had to pop it out of the socket with a drift and another socket but no tool damage resulted.

If you are dealing with the Porsche locks:

Tire shops deal with locking lugs that are rounded, but onto which you can hammer a socker of some sort. Porsche wheel locks are a round cover that just spins if you do this. The cover needs to be removed to expose the nut flats. If you hammer a socket onto the cover, all you spin is the cover.

The options with the Porsche locks are:

Picking the lock (easy enough)
Drilling out the lock barrel (more work)
Chiseling the face off (never tried it, but would be tough on the rear wheels)

You might also be able to split the cover with a chisel but with all that hammering and chiseling the wheels are likely to take a hit.

Just pick 'em, it's easy and fun.

-Joel.

Last edited by Jfrahm; 10-16-2003 at 08:49 AM..
Old 10-16-2003, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Joel, You didn't take a close look at the link he posted. His do not have tumblers.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Sorry I did not notice the link, I just removed locking lugs w/o a key from my new car recently and have the factory locking lugs on the brain.

See my edited post for how to get the round locks off.

-Joel.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I have Haldeman's book on Picking Locks For Fun and Political Profit.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to daveimme
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
I have Haldeman's book on Picking Locks For Fun and Political Profit.
LOL!!!
83 Suzuki LT 125 (4 wheeler) (wife)
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
2000 Kawasaki KX 65 (son)
2003 Honda XR 50 (Son and daughter)
Old 10-16-2003, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

I'd have thought the tool would have been in the toolkit with the spare. If the owner kept the tool couldn't you just ask the dealer to give you their address?

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 10-16-2003, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

yah, the deal is, I bought the car from a dealership that has absolutely NO knowlege of european cars, letalone would they have a "master" key to fit this set of locks. I could possibly ask for the person's address that sold them the car.
thank you everyone for helping. I really appreciate it
Old 10-16-2003, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
The 86 I bought to part out had the factory keyed locks for the wheels. I had to search high and low for the key. Finally found it wedged between the door panel and the map pocket.

I was about to knock off two of them.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: