Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What is the little black box thing on the back of an early alternator?

The little black box that goes to a spade terminal.

928 OC member
PCA member
Old 10-14-2003, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Regulator.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-14-2003, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Regulator.
No, its a black box with a little black wire with a spade terminal on it and it plugs into the alt.
I know what the regulator is,but it's right next to it.
Go look at your car and it will jog your memory.
This is the problem Im having,When I start my car and turn the headlights or stereo on,if I rev it to 3k rpm it will pick up and begin to charge,all the lights get bright,and the subwoofer and amp start working. It just started doing this about 2 months ago,so I put a new regulator on and nothing,so today I put a new alternator on and still same thing,also have a new ground cable coming off the battery,and a new battery. All terminals are cleaned and tighty. It's like I'm not getting enough juice and the not charging thing until I rev it is getting old as hell.
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 10-15-2003, 12:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Item 14 or item 17?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944_parts/944_83-85/Pic110.jpg
Old 10-15-2003, 12:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
14, damn your fast!
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 10-15-2003, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Know your resources!

That's just a suppressor. Knocks the noise of the voltage.

Me thinks you need an adjustable regulator. You can get 14.4 VDC out of the early alternators. This, a larger battery, new battery terminals and running some serious wire should keep you audio system from sucking off all of the juice.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, but why do i have to rev it to 3k to get the damn thing to start charging?
Where can I get a adjustable regulator?
P.S. The audio system isnt nothing special just one 10 inch sub with a small amp,I know thats not what is causing all this mess,because it just started doing this a few months ago,and Ive had the sterios junk in there about a year.
928 OC member
PCA member

Last edited by justin; 10-15-2003 at 12:56 AM..
Old 10-15-2003, 12:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The brushes on the regulator are shot. Try a NAPA auto parts store. Or even call Pelican! Number is top right of the page. Make sure you get the adjustable. This will cure 99% of the problem.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to interglossa
So what size battery would you recommend SoCal? I'm having the problem where everytime i turn on the headlights or my 2nd fan turns on, it blips my stereo. Thinking adj. regulator or just new one would help, but curious about the larger battery.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
There are a few aftermarket batteries that have a higher amp density than what the same size "stock" ones have. Would have to look around.

I think that cleaning up your battery connections and grounds first will cure most of your problems. The adjustable regulator would help too.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to interglossa
I just put in new ground cables (block to body and body to battery) which fixed some gauge issues. The battery is pretty new and not corroded at all. I think i can get an adj. volt regulator from the auto electric store for about $15. Gotta check on it i guess. Any tricks for removal/install i should know about?
Old 10-15-2003, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
All you newer 944 owners; these cars live and breath through the electrical system. It does not take much to knock them off center.

Corroded or just plain useless battery terminals and cables will suck the life out of the car.

One of the fixes that's being done is to run two grounds from the battery. One to the chassis like in the early 944's, and one directly to the engine block like in the later 944's. Also a ground wire from the front of the engine just over the alternator AC compressor bracket to the ground point just behind the headlight.

The other often ignored connection is the several 10 gauge size wires that are part of the clamping bolt on the positive terminal. If the positive terminal has been replaced with one of those general purpose clamps then the large cable going down to the starter is most likely corroded as well as any bare cable stuck under the cheezey clamp. These need to be cut back and a good copper lug soldered to them. Use the bolts to clamp the copper lugs to the replacement clamp.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
if you add a cap to your system you shouldnt ever ave a problem with the stereo sucking up too much juice. helps to rule the radio out when looking for something pulling too much power. in my las car. 98 civic ex i didnt want to upgrade the altornator or that tiny motorcycle lookin battery but i had a 1200watt system and LOTS of other things running (DVD, TV, LIGHTS, GUAGES, ect). the only reason i didnt kill it was that i had 3 1 farrad caps supporting the system.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
The brushes on the regulator are shot. Try a NAPA auto parts store. Or even call Pelican! Number is top right of the page. Make sure you get the adjustable. This will cure 99% of the problem.
SoCal: The alternator's new. I just put it on Tuesday night.
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 10-16-2003, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by justin
SoCal: The alternator's new. I just put it on Tuesday night.
Doesn't mean a thing if they used a fixed voltage regulator.

Check the voltage accross the battery with the voltage coming out of the back of the alternator.

By "new" you mean rebuilt.

Old 10-16-2003, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: