Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tclyder
Pics on installing shift boot

I have a 1985 early 944 and have been doing a number of improvments to the interior.

One of the things i bought is a new leather shift boot and knob.

I know this is an easy installation but i need some pics on installing the rubber boot that goes under the leather boot.

Does the rubber boot snap on to the metal rim around the hole for the shifter or does it snap on to the plastic rim on the counsol and the the leather boot goes over that,

I would think that it snaps on the metal ring but the boot appears to large to do this. I think that the ruber boot might be to big but it was what was there when i took off the old leather boot.

Does any one have any pics on how it should be properly installed

I bought the leather boot with the attached aluminum knob from prestige parts in the UK. - it is real high quality and they shipped it very fast.

Thanks

Tom

Our Car is a early 1985 944 with a manual trans
Old 10-19-2003, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

if you can't find any pics... get a Haynes manual from a parts store...it has pictures in it that show you and tell you how to take it apart and stuff. If you don't want to buy it, then go to the parts store and see if they have it, then just look at it there and hope you can remember what it looked like.
good luck
Old 10-19-2003, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have a hanes manual and a few other repair books and none of them are clear as how to properly get the rubber boot to seat correctly

Tom

Old 10-19-2003, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I can not believe that no one has every replaced the shift boot and knob in a 944!

If there are no pics can any one tell me if the lip of the rubber boot (Which is under the leather boot) snaps onto the metal ring below the plastic counsol or does it snap onto the plastic ring which snaps onto the plastic counsol under the carpeting?

Thanks

Tom

Old 10-20-2003, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sounds like your doing it right but your rubber might be worn out.

Mine slips on and off with only a little coaxing. Yes it goes around the metal bit.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
the rubber goes around the metal ring on the car body.............

The leather goes around the ring on the console.....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 10-20-2003, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mein Gott!

Garage
Now did you buy the entire boot with the leather already built on, or did you just buy the $30 leather wrap?

If its just the leather, then you want to clip it to the plastic (at least my '87's was plastic) diaphram. But make sure you let the leather sit in the sun for a few hours or heat it with a hair dryer. I didn't bother to do this and the leather took some muscle to fit properly. Also, be sure to get the kinks out on the upper portion before you re-fit the cap. As me how I know
Old 10-20-2003, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
i bought the leather boot and shift knob which is integreted from these guys http://www.prestigeparts.co.uk/porscheindex.htm

it is the rubber boot that is the problem it is too big for the metal ring. i guess the PO must of have done this once before and maybe the rubber boot is the wrong one

anyone got one from a 1985 944 early

thing i should cut it? the base is just to big by about an inch

thanks

tom

Last edited by tclyder; 10-22-2003 at 05:43 AM..
Old 10-20-2003, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
From what i found out the 944 uses the same rubber boot from 83-91 so i don't understand why on my 1985 early 944 this orginal rubber boot (Which is under the leather boot) does not snap on correctly to the metal retaining ring on the car!

It appears to be about an inch to big at the bottom. Should I bend the it over and use a tie rap or a large hose clamp?

Is there some funky way this gets installed that I am missing?

Here is a picture of the new shifter just sitting in place and i dont have the counsol installed - i Have been redoing the guages and fixing wiring problems and installing a new stereo so every thing is not in place yet.

Tom

Last edited by tclyder; 10-22-2003 at 05:43 AM..
Old 10-22-2003, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Here is another photo if i can upload it

Old 10-22-2003, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Okay, let's start a checklist of possibilities:

1. They sent you the wrong boot.

2. Its the right boot, but for some reason, it just needs trimmed a bit at the bottom.

3. Its the right boot, but the PO removed the afore-mentioned plastic square-shaped diaphram. This is all I needed to tuck the boot under when I changed mine out a few months ago.

Regardless, Try trial fitting the center console over the boot as it is in your pics. How would it look? The boot wouldn't flap up so maybe it should look semi-decent(?)
Old 10-22-2003, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to interglossa
So where did you get the white gauge faces? They even have the mpg...
Old 10-22-2003, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

I will look at the receipt tonight and post the name of the company and how to contact them.

I have take digital pictures of the whole process of replacing the guage faces and will be writing an article soon for my local PCA and I may post it here.

I had to do some minor modifications of the guage faces but i expected that. All and all i was very pleased with them and they look great. You do have to get the right color paint for the old guage pointers -- yellow on white would not have looked to well.

Tom

The pointers for the water temp and fuel are there and when the ignition is turned on the do rise and are visable.

Old 10-23-2003, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Here is where I bought the guages from:

Drivers Edge
440 Saddle Road
Boone, North Carolina 28607

They were not sure which tach I had so they sent me both styles.

Also there are two different oil pressure guages. I received the wrong one - but with very friendly service she sent me a new one.

Be aware replaceing the guage faces is not for beginners.

You do have to modifiy the faces slightly, like enlarging a couple of holes, triming the face slightly to so it can snap into the clear plastic light dispursement ring on a couple of the guages.

and I had to dril a hole for the shift indicator light
Pointers have to be painted

But i understood upfront I probably had to do this

the results are great - and worth the effort.

Tom

Old 10-26-2003, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to interglossa
Phone # and/or website for the driver's edge?
Old 10-26-2003, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by interglossa
Phone # and/or website for the driver's edge?
Drivers Guages has them on Ebay quite a bit. Some people have paid as low as 9.99.

Last edited by zehnd; 10-26-2003 at 09:10 AM..
Old 10-26-2003, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Your picture does not show the rubber boot. It only shows the leather boot that is supposed to attach to the console.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-26-2003, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I will try and take some pics tomorrow when i get home from work and post them. I wrote PCA and their tech guy said he things the boot is just old and stretched. I don't know - i will post the pics and you guys can judge.

tom

Old 10-26-2003, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

I don't have a phone number for Driver's Edge but here is the email I had that I cooresponded with: Drivers_Edge@hotmail.com

Old 10-27-2003, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Ok Maybe some one can now help me with this inner rubber shift boot problem.

Here are the pictures.

In the first one you can see the metal retaining ring on the frame.

The rubber boot should just snap on this.

In the next picture you can see the inner lip of the boot where the metal edge is supose to snap into the slot on the lip of the boot

My problem is the boot is way to big (yes it is the one that came with the car)

So what am I doing wrong on reinstalling this?

I have two solutions:

1. drill 1/4 inch holes around the perimeter of the base of the boot and then snake a tie wrap through the holes so i get a good grip around and below that metal rim.

2. bend over the excess and take a large hose clamp around the whole base and tighten it.

Any other bright ideas?

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by tclyder; 10-28-2003 at 06:49 AM..
Old 10-28-2003, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: