Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
vott does ziss do?

techno geek

one of my favorite devices of late is the pocket pc. I've had mine for about a year and a half now and love it. so I'm wondering if any of you have or know of any pocketpc software for Porsches (maintenance/service related) or any other car software in general that us pelicanites might find interesting

Old 10-20-2003, 12:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

I have a pocket calculator that lets me know how broke I'm going to be for the rest of the month following a visit to the Porsche spares counter.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 10-20-2003, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
no, but IN my Porsche you can often hear the song, "I'm the operator of my pocket calculator. beep bip, BONNNNNG."
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 10-20-2003, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

ronin, glad i'm not alone. been using pocket pc's and the kind since about 1995. got an ipaq 2215 now. loving it. use it for work every day. i look quite often for different kinds of peripherals and software but so far have come up with nothing for the P-cars. i know there is software out there for the palm platform for tweeking and diagnosing engines but not sure where it is or if it is available for pocket pc platform.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
There is a view and markup program for acad drawings that we took along to a street lighting review in L.A. a few years back. We had all of the drawings in the PDA/PC. So as the two of us were walking about measuring and talking notes on the PDA/PC drawings others were unrolling and rerolling a three inch diameter tube of their drawings. Was a pain to have to wait for them.

After we got back to the office after the half day walk about several of the drawing burdened civil engineers called to see if we could send them the marked upped electronic drawings. The owner did. One could not read the CDR's on his ancient computer the other had to send then out to have them plotted.

I have no idea how these people make any money but I do know where the delays are.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-20-2003, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fty
They have software for Audi and VW and they may even have it for BMW but I havent seen anything for the Porsches yet.... -chris
Old 10-20-2003, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

vott does ziss do?

you guys are a riot

Dark Skies, I don't need a calculator for that. all I have to see is my dear service writer's face when I pull up to the shop and I already know that it's more than I have

paulc, I actually started looking into them about the time you first bought one. I just wasn't quite convinced until Windows CE 2000 came out. (didn't care for palmtops) I prefer CE to Palm os. I have practically all of the developers tools, etc. here. perhaps we should try porting over some of the palm stuff to ppc

SoCal, been there done that!! perhaps not in your line of work but in other endeavors. I just don't know how people can hold out so long to automate. I've been preaching since the 80s when I had my consulting firm. funny thing is though once they get automated, they're usually grinning from ear to ear, albeit a bit reluctant to admit it

fty, what type of proggys are there for Audi, VW etc?
Old 10-20-2003, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Here'e an Idea..
how bout downloading Clarks Garage into the palm. Transfer it into word or excel, clean it up a bit and then since it into the palm.

I don't think my puny little palmpilot could handle full blown diagrams.
I would love some of the new code/tuning/diagnosis software that you just plug into
Old 10-20-2003, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

there are actually diagnostic programs for the palm (Baum tools carries some) but they are all OBDII and none of our cars are. but that would be optimal to have something like that. I have a really nice diagnostics unit (OBDI + II, and marque specific diagnostics) from a software project that I was working on a while back but lugging a suitcase gets a little old
Old 10-20-2003, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
The father of the fellow that I was walking around with is the owner of the electrical engineering shop. He is just three years older than I, in his later 50's. He refuses to use a computer anymore than he absolutely has too. Gets the secretary to do it.

As to programs on a PDA/PC; it's interesting that the connector to the and cable to DME would be larger that the PDA/PC.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-20-2003, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

yep. I have a plethora of connectors for various cars and they all approach the size of the PPC. Mercedes and BMW being the largest. the OBDII plug is the only one that is the same for all cars and it's not that small either

tcm: that's an interesting idea. I haven't really perused the material on that side yet but I can understand the possibility. doing something like this would be a good starting point

Old 10-20-2003, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: