Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Problem getting worse?

Ok guys im back again. The new filters got the idle keeping steady at 900, so thats fine. I drove the car down the road yesterday, and now today i went out and revved the engine a little bit.

When the RPM's got to about 1500-2000 the car would make a very strange noise. The vibrations were worse than ever now too. The noise sounded like a vibration noise, like something was vibrating and hitting something else. I guess thats the best way to put it. I'm thinking it is the motor mounts, because this is the only thing i havent checked.

Socal has told me before to place my hand between the cross member and the oil pan when im under the car, but im i couldnt find those. Can anyone help me find out if those motor mounts are bad or not, and maybe if there is another problem beside the mounts?

Old 10-22-2003, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
When did you last check your balance shaft belt?
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-22-2003, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
Any vibration associated with the engine will probably be the belts. Bring up to TDC on the flywheel and check the camshaft mark and balance shaft marks. Check the belt tension at the same time. I will bet the balance shafts are not aligned properly.

The motor mounts will not cause heavy vibration. Bad mounts will cause the engine contacting the hood under acceleration/load. And engine vibration will be more pronounced w/ lower RPMs then smoothing out at high RPMs. When you rev the engine do you see the engine moving to one side or coming up? Do you hear a "thunk" when revving? When in 1st gear and letting out the clutch do you see the engine move up?

If you cannot find the crossmember and oil pan under the car.
1.) Crawl out from under car
2.) Close hood
3.) Walk to Ace Hardware
4.) Purchase "For Sale" sign
5.) Mount sign on windshield w/phone number
6.) Choose highest bidder

Sorry man,
just an observation

Rick
has never left garage (yet)
Old 10-22-2003, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My friend said the same thing about the engine moving up and down. he checked for this too and said they are fun. I dont hear a thunk or physically see the engine move. But um the reason i couldnt find the oil pan was because i couldnt fit under the car and i dont know where the jack is.

Whats bring up TDC on the flywheel or whatever mean? How do i check the balance shaft, because this sounds interesting the "not aligned properly" thing
Old 10-22-2003, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Re: Problem getting worse?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rock
Socal has told me before to place my hand between the cross member and the oil pan when im under the car, but im i couldnt find those. Can anyone help me find out if those motor mounts are bad or not, and maybe if there is another problem beside the mounts?

Errr. OK.

Where do you live? Perhaps someone here on Rennlist can come over and give you auto class 101.

As to the vibration; it sounds like a broken or out of sync balance belt.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-22-2003, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I live in Mason, Ohio. Its a suburb of cincinnati. There is this guy who lives really close to me, he has a black 928 and 2 944's he might know something. There is this big Porsche flag in his garage.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Rock:

You need to do some serious reading! I recommend spending some quality time at Clark's GarageClark's Garage . There is a ton of stuff here to help you out.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Its not the motor mounts, but if its that Timing belt, im in big trouble. The clarks garage place says i need a 500 dollars tool to tension it, and it looks hard as hell to even check if it is ok.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
If it was the timing belt your engine won't even be running, buddy

Balance shaft belt is my best guess.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 10-22-2003, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
Rock,

Get the Haynes manual here on Pelican. Worth the money and especially worthwhile to a newbie.

The $500 tool is recommended but consistent results can be achieved with the kriket or optibelt tools.

When you get the Haynes it will show pics of the TDC marks I speak about and "TDC" means Top Dead Center"

Will take too long to explain without the manual. Please do not drive the vehicle in the present condition. Serious bad stuff can happen meaning $$$$$.

I did not mean to burn you on my last reply I assumed you looked under the car. Now I know you hadn't looked under the car it took an hour to stop laughing to post this. Please get the Haynes manual, go to sears get some jack stands. (they ususally have a floorjack, jackstand combo on sale.

Rick

has never left garage (yet)
Old 10-23-2003, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: