Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Smile 944 respray 2nd opinions?

ok, we need a good 2nd opinon here:

our Montego Black 1984 944 is needing a respray on the hood and roof. acid rain has eaten through the paint and it just doesn't look very nice any more. we have been quoted $700 to redo the paint and get the car looking like new. this is by a TOP NOTCH paint guy that works for my friend. that's OUR PRICE, not the public one .

however I am wondering that if I have to go through this whole mess with paint, should we consider getting a carbon fibre or fibreglass hood and save weight in the process? if so, will I need to drill and pin the carbon fibre hood (not that I mind) or are there really good "stealth" ways to hold down the lightweight hoods these days? i only know pinning to be sufficiently strong enough.

what would YOU do?

thanks!

obin

Old 10-26-2003, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Obin,

I've seen some colored 1/4 turn fasteners, similar to Dzus type, holding body panels on some race cars. Don't know if they are anodized aluminum or some type of polymer or who manufactures them.

drew1

wife has 924 turbo
Old 10-26-2003, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

would you go with carbon fibre or just repaint the metal?

obin
Old 10-26-2003, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If only paint damage, with my limited time & money, I'd just repaint the metal for a street car.

drew1

wife has 924 turbo
Old 10-26-2003, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fty
Fiber glass and nice aluminum pins would look sharp....Nice to see you round....you goin to hershey this year?- best regards-chris
Old 10-26-2003, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
I'd just keep it original stock. Montego Black was a classic color - my first 944 was this paint. Unless you have plans to track the car, no point in dropping good $$$ just to save a few pounds, IMHO.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Man I wouldn't have to think about that one too long. Go with the stock metal hood. The quality is better, it fits, it's hooked up to some nice shocks that hold it open, it's stable at speed, and hey, it's already on the car and won't cost you more money.

regards, P
Old 10-26-2003, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
Obin, is this the car for the track or your daily driver?
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 10-26-2003, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Rankin
Obin, is this the car for the track or your daily driver?
it's a daily driver. not a track car, but i put it on the track every once in a while

thanks!

obin
Old 10-27-2003, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

how much weight could you even save with a "track hood"
Old 10-27-2003, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

it saves around 50-60 lbs and you end up lowering, and rearward shifting, the car's center of gravity that little bit.

obin
Old 10-27-2003, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I like the lowered center of grav. but not necc. the rearward..

Old 10-27-2003, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: