Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bodywork continued, And some questions.

Question one pertains to the next 2 pictures.

Short of bending the hinges, is anyone aware of a method to 'center' the hood? I might just leave this up to the body man who'll paint the car, as I'm running out of ideas.

Question #2...

What's wrong with this picture? I've had nothing but troubles with the spring on the driver's side headlight assembly. I'm wondering if I can't just eliminate the spring, and weld the assembly together? These headlights are becoming my biggest headache....

The nose piece seems to be off center in the openings... Being a perfectionist, I'm gonna have to fix that. I'm also going to add some fiberglass to the panel to eliminate the majority of the gap between the nose and the bumper. It doesn't look so bad in this picture, but in person it's pretty nasty. Once done, the nose will likely be an inch or two longer in the center.

The biggest differences between these pictures and the ones in the last thread, everything is actually bolted together for the first time. I had to make some aluminum brackets to bolt the backs of the fenders in place. And I have the airdam bolted to the fronts of the fenders, the factory 951 bumper is holding the airdam at the proper height and distance from the core. I've also got plans to make a mold of the bottom of the factory airdam, so that I can bolt it in under the new airdam to help divert the air up to the radiator core(plus it won't look so tacky, seeing the ground through the airdam openings).
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 02-18-2004, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My repairs/conversion has begun!

My first thread on this repair.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Re: Bodywork continued, And some questions.

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueQuestTSi
Short of bending the hinges, is anyone aware of a method to 'center' the hood? I might just leave this up to the body man who'll paint the car, as I'm running out of ideas.
too bad I don't live in your neck of the woods or I'd help you align that bad boy. it's not too difficult with two people. the hardest part is tightening the screws before it wobbles out of alignment again
Old 02-18-2004, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
may i suggest loosening the bolts slightly and taping it with a rubber mallet?
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

that could work. the only problem is that since they're on the end of the hood, it makes for such a long fulcrum and can pull it back out of alignment from its own weight before you get a chance to tighten them down. still worth a shot though
Old 02-19-2004, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'll give it a shot next time I'm out there. I'm really thinking something may of been off on the mold of the hood. The more I think about it, I shouldn't have a centering issue, as the hinges really aren't designed for a side to side adjustment......
Old 02-19-2004, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Just a stupidly simple thought but...

what about waiting to fit the hood until it comes down from the jacks.

I know that my open hood occasionally looks rather "off" when I am on jackstands. All is right once all four wheels are on the ground.

Good work so far and good luck.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
When the bolts are loose, it allows for some movement. It doesn't take very little movement at the hinge end to make large diff. at the latch end.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

exactly. that unfortunately is also why it can be so tricky because just the tiniest movement at the hinge.....
Old 02-19-2004, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Just take the darn hood off and get everything chromed!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-20-2004, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Just take the darn hood off and get everything chromed!

Eeeeeeekkkkkk, no thanks Besides, I'm sure the fiberglass wouldn't last through the first portion of acid dipping anyways.

TCMdocs944,

Unfortunately, the jacks aren't causing it. It's was that way before I took the wheels off. I didn't feel like messing it with the day I put it on jackstands, but it did start really bothering me so I figured I'd ask before I took drastic measures
Old 02-20-2004, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: