Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
How to - motor mounts?

Anyone know of a good "how-to" on replacing motor mounts on a 944? What will I need, parts-wise, to do the job other than the mounts themselves? I have access to a decently equipped shop and have all the usual metric tools, including a couple special tools for VWs. I was just going to let a shop handle this but these puppies are expensive! I plan on placing an order tomorrow so I'd like to know what all I will need up front. I'm trying to get this done quickly because once I sell my new GTI this 944 will be my daily driver.

thanks,

nate
Old 02-23-2004, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

clarks garage has a very good step by step process here
I highly recommend clark's garage for pretty much any procedure he covers. I've used his stuff for everything from water pumps to timing belts to hood shocks. Excellent resource, IMHO.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
That's a hell of a lot more complicated than replacing the motor mounts in my '72 Buick Skylark was!

I assume that everyone recommends the 951 mounts, even for NA.
LSD
2002 Yamaha FZ1
Old 02-23-2004, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

1) find $400
2) take car to mechanic, ask him to change the mounts
3) go play golf, at its worst this is much less frustrating
4) pick up car, offer mechanic $400
5) find another $400 for incidental repairs discovered while changing mounts.
6) repeat every other year
Old 02-23-2004, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Be sure to get the short bolts for the new engine mounts first!

A real pain if you don't. I discovered I was out of shape to ride the kids bicycle down to the hardware store and back.

Doing the engine mounts gives one the opportunity to do other front suspension maintenance.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-23-2004, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
is it just me, or does it look like your car is leaning?
Old 02-23-2004, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
Thanks for all the advice guys. This is very helpful. Question: are the parts at the folowing link the good, updated parts? (yeah, I know, I should order through Pelican but I need some other stuff at the same time that's not listed on the Pelican site)

http://************************/ProductPage.aspx?ProductName=Engine+and+Transmissi on+Mounts&productid=102193&producttype=20

Oh, and Bryan, I hope that some of that disassembly is unnecessary just to replace the engine mounts!

nate
Old 02-23-2004, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
It is. Back of apartment's parking next to the blocked off alley.

I also tilted the cheap camera a bit. Not intentionally.

City code enforcer came by while I was doing this. He said I couldn't because it was visible to a public through fare. I pointed to the end of the alley where the city had blocked it off and asked him what about the definition of "through fare" he didn't understand.

He said I should use the garage to work on the car. Garage is about 1 1/2 foot wider than the car. So I asked if you can drive by in the alley and see me working on the car in the garage what is the difference if you can see me doing the same work in a private parking space?

Note these apartments are separate three plex's not in a gated community.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by toolboy62
Thanks for all the advice guys. This is very helpful. Question: are the parts at the folowing link the good, updated parts? (yeah, I know, I should order through Pelican but I need some other stuff at the same time that's not listed on the Pelican site)

http://************************/ProductPage.aspx?ProductName=Engine+and+Transmissi on+Mounts&productid=102193&producttype=20

Oh, and Bryan, I hope that some of that disassembly is unnecessary just to replace the engine mounts!

nate

Call and ask them. I buy parts for the wife's 85 Toyota all the time from Pelican.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
Both SoCal and his car ........ lean to the right.

True. Although some of my liberal leanings would make Algore look conservitive.

Guess you could use "republitarian".

An "observation" from Larry Elder.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

SoCal:

On your picture, if you look at the "plastic" fascia where it meets with the steel fender, the passenger side looks "stove in" when compared with the drivers side. I am about ready to remove mine and repair/paint it, and noticed the same thing. Are they all like that? I was planning on making a plywood template from the drivers side and pull out the passenger side ever so slightly to get rid of this what I thought was a "defect" perhaps caused by less than careful piloiting by a P.O.

Anyone else have this difference side to side?
Old 02-23-2004, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: