Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dash Caps

Has anyone had experience with molded dash caps? My 944 has the typical cracked up dash. I do not like the carpet and I have heard that if you replace the dash it doesn't take but a few years before it is cracking again. The dash caps seem simple enough to install, but I have never seen one in a car. If anyone has installed one, I would love to hear your comments and see your finished product.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Easy to install, but they tend to warp a little over the center speaker grill. Other than that, mine looks great. Sorry, but I don't have any pics yet...I still think they looks much better than the carpet covers

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 07-15-2004, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I agree. Mine did warp, I contacted the manufacturer that replied it should not have happened and they sent me a replacement.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Did the replacement warp?

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 07-15-2004, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Not yet......but it has only bee 6 months in the hot desert clomate..Didn't even blame the first one when interior temps in the sun can reach 140+.

BTW...the first one was 4 years old!!!!! All I asked is whether a heat gun might work to eliminate the very minor bulge.

Pays to initially be nice to a vendor!! (nasty comes way later if they are unreasonable)
Old 07-15-2004, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Moneyguy1-

Can you post a pic or two?
Old 07-15-2004, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Smile Coverlay Dash Cover

I installed a Coverlay dash cover a little over two years ago and it hasn't warped that bad. I live on the Oregon Coast and the climate here is kind to vehicle interiors. Here are a couple pictures of my endeavor.

Stephen
Old 07-15-2004, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I think they look pretty good - mine hasn't warped, but i've only had the car for 6 months (although i guess the dash cover is a lot older than that). Mines not glued down, but still doesn't rattle (too much!). One thing is that it is far too shiney with chronic reflections in the windscreen, although it got better after i gave it a wash - i still might paint it in black bumper paint (if i get round to it!)

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944
Old 07-15-2004, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

No need for a picture..Mine looks just like that, except in brown.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Laqmbic2000 that looks good. Who sells them and how much? Would need to have it shipped here though. Trouble is that mine is RH Drive so States would probably not have. Perhaps someone in European countries has gone through this?
Old 07-16-2004, 02:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Those couple of pics look great.

Moneyguy1 - How long has yours been installed? Memphis sun isn't as brutal as AZ, but I would be interested in seeing how long yours has lasted. What brand is it and where did you purchase?
Old 07-16-2004, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Paul, - Your'e right US, probably wouldn't have a RH drive one. Most European countries would be of no help to you either - only the UK (and Ireland) in Europe drive on the left. Australia might be another drive on the left place to consider, along with Japan (but tricky to read the japanse websites!).

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944
Old 07-16-2004, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Accuform Plastics
Hurricane Utah
Old 07-16-2004, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Glasson
Lambic2000 that looks good. Who sells them and how much?
I originally bought mine from Performance Products. I usually recommend buying from Pelican Parts but I did not see this product in their online catalog. Maybe I missed it. Finding a right hand drive version might be difficult but I bet they are out there.

Stephen
Old 07-16-2004, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: