Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Transmission Swap out?

I have a 84’ 944 Automatic Transmission-ed car and a 84’manual parts car. I am thinking bout switching out the Automatic for the manual. Is this do-able? Has anyone out there done this and know all of what is involved? I have done a clutch job in the past so I know that it will not be a quick job but I have more time than money.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to beagle113
i have done this to a 86 944. there really wasnt anything real difficult, just time consuming. if you want to replace the torque tube you can, but dont have to, unless the early 944 auto trans have different bolt pattern than the 5 speed. all you would need is to make 2 holes for the manual shifter. there should be just a little cover for the slave cyclinder and it just pops off. the pedals change out real easy. i would remove the auto trans lines from the car, but i dont guess you have to. you might have to run some wire from the backup light switch from the auto shifter down to the trans. thats about all there is to it. it is just like doing a clutch job, except for the ease of putting a manual in instead of an auto and just crawling under the dash and changing the pedals. if you have anymore questions, email me.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have done this on a 84 and a 85.5, and fixing to start on a 88. Like Begal said, it is not that bad, just time. The only cutting you will have to do is the bracket for the auto shifter. You will have to cut it out so the shifter rod will clear. That is what I did. I did change the touque tubes out though. Same here, if you need any help, drop me a line.
toddandcharity@peoplepc.com

I have tons of spare parts, let me know what you need.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I will get into this project in the near future. I think I am going to buy a lift first (read the threads on it) before I tackle a major under car project. I am tired of the hassle of working with floor jacks. I will definetly take you up on your offers of advise when I get into it.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: