Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
What does the FR Wilk chip do?

I searched....all I find is "it gives power all through the rev range" and "it's a wonderful improvement" type comments. that's about as helpful as saying "it's cool, get it." I want to know what the chip does. I want to know how it achieves these improvements. Is it a reprogrammed chip that replaces the stock chip? Does it piggy-back the stock components? do we have any dyno'ed differences posted?

...spill it....

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 07-19-2004, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

alters fuel maps

have you read the site ????
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 07-19-2004, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

what site?

Old 07-19-2004, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
www.frwilk.com

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 07-19-2004, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Basically, it adjusts the fuel map and gives you a lot more power at low rpms. You know that kick you get at about 3500 rpm...well, you get it closer to 2k.

I dont have one yet but i heard its a miracle worker. The best n/a chip without a doubt.
996 GT3 4 Liter - Basalt Black - gone
Old 07-19-2004, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

yup...that site has zero "how does it work" information...

Old 07-19-2004, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
He tells you what it alters, if he got specific it would screw him on companies making the same exact thing. It also raises the rev limiter.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by serge944
Basically, it adjusts the fuel map and gives you a lot more power at low rpms. You know that kick you get at about 3500 rpm...well, you get it closer to 2k.

I dont have one yet but i heard its a miracle worker. The best n/a chip without a doubt.

I hear that a lot but I want to know how it adjusts the maps. Does it tie in piggy-back to the stock computer and alter the input/output signals? Does it completely replace the stock maps? I'd like to see a dyno, before and after, with wide-band info.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by gearhead290
He tells you what it alters, if he got specific it would screw him on companies making the same exact thing. It also raises the rev limiter.

Another company could simply invest the $200 to get the chip and duplicate it and sell it for a %75 of what he sells for if they wanted to screw his business. That's not an issue. If it simply alters the fuel maps, what does it do than an S-AFC or HCON wouldn't do?

Old 07-19-2004, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Don't you need to buy a car first?

edit
Makenzie71 has deleted his signature that showed he does not even own a 944.

Last edited by RIchard944; 07-19-2004 at 11:58 PM..
Old 07-19-2004, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

#1...what the hell does that matter? No car negates curiosity?

#2...I have one. Thank you.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Used & Abused

Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71
I hear that a lot but I want to know how it adjusts the maps. Does it tie in piggy-back to the stock computer and alter the input/output signals? Does it completely replace the stock maps? I'd like to see a dyno, before and after, with wide-band info.
From what I've learned:

It replaces the stock fuel maps. I don't know about ignition but I believe it does them as well.

It doesn't piggy-back the system.

The only dyno people have done is the butt-dyno. Even the wide butt dyno has noticed a markable improvement w/ the FR chip.

I hope that answers your questions. Why is your signature burn?

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
use your search button. one well known, and respected member has done his own "review" of this chip. i totally agree with his findings.
i fully subscribe to the dyno-butt school of comparison. the key word for this chip, would be" driveability". like fast 924s said, once you install this chip, you wont ever go back.
absolute value for money. 5 stars etc etc.
bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
Yeah, he now owns a 944.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 07-20-2004, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
It works and has outstanding reviews. what more do you need to see/hear?

If you really want to know how it works, you'll learn to code in hex and write your own chips. In fact, since you dont want to spend the money for it, you could go that route...

There's Frugal, then there's cheap. Which are you?

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 07-20-2004, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Why don't you guys back off his nuts a little? All he wanted was to know how the chip acheived the performance that people have stated that they obtained from it. You guys are acting like nobody should ever ask questions about anything, and take everything at face value. Except when they doesn't suit YOU, and then you get all up in arms about it. Grow up.

Oh but I forgot, it's a Porsche so it must have been made perfect the first time, right? Sorry, don't think so.

Makenzie71,

I'll tell you what I know about how the chip works, which is basically from inferrence and reading the site and from reading posts here. The FRWilk chip is based on a European DME with altered fuel maps that replace the stock maps, IIRC it also has more ignition timing. The European chip does not use the Lambada O2 sensor, whereas the RoW chip utilizes it until WoT. IIRC, that is part of the "no go until 3K" deal. However, since Wilk based his chip off a Euro DME, the O2 sensor is not used and coupled with the better fuel maps and more ignition, you get better performance.

Wilk, feel free to correct me if I don't know what the **** I'm talking about.

I thought this was supposed to be a forum where we exchange knowledge and ideas about these cars but it is seeming more and more like everything is suddenly some "trade secret".

Quote:
It works and has outstanding reviews. what more do you need to see/hear?
Wow, what a great motto. "I don't know how in the hell it works, but a bunch of people I don't know and whom I have no idea that they actually know cars worth a **** says it's great, so I'm gonna go buy one!" Right...

[quote]
If you really want to know how it works, you'll learn to code in hex and write your own chips. In fact, since you dont want to spend the money for it, you could go that route...
quote]

Right, because I'm sure that's exactly what you did, right Brando? That's complete bull****. That's like saying that if I wanted to know how adjustable camber plates work I'd go take some engineering classes and **** instead of posing a simple question.

Get off your high horses, it feels like the 911 forum over here....

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 07-20-2004, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
this got my curiosity so i've been searching the other chip makers regarding specifics on exactly how their chip worked. guess what? none of them explain it.

http://www.**********.com/vtx/43.htm
http://www.weltmeister.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=422
http://www.rennsportsystems.com/1aa.html
http://www.gururacing.net/ChipUpgrade.html
http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LR&Category_Code=CHIPS

and, of course;
http://frwilk.com/944dme/p_prom2.htm

for some reason, i couldn't find auto-authority.

the biggest difference i see between wilks and the rest is that wilks doesn't require you to permanantly switch to 92 octane fuel with his chip.

i guess the question(s) that Makenzie71 is asking can apply to any chip manufacturer, not just wilks. i doubt they'll talk about specifics though.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Does exactly what it says on the tin .......
Old 07-20-2004, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by FRANKYDOOM
Does exactly what it says on the tin .......
the question wasn't WHAT it does, but HOW it does it.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Because you want to make this a bit personal...
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowToady
Quote:
Right, because I'm sure that's exactly what you did, right Brando? That's complete bull****. That's like saying that if I wanted to know how adjustable camber plates work I'd go take some engineering classes and **** instead of posing a simple question.
Actually yes. I'm taking the steps right now to learn how to be a responsible and knowledgeable mechanic for porsches. Even if it comes down to learning machine code (already in the process of learning C/++) and buying a chip reader, i'll do what i can but i doubt i can get anywhere close to FR Wilk's skill level. ASE certification tests coming in the fall, i will be ready for them.

Also listed above by nize, no aftermarket EPROM manufacturer/producer will post the exact details on their chip, unless the original program and mapping was made under GNU public licensing. I dont know if you've followed recent copyright laws and programs/operating systems (yes, it even involves the computers in your cars) but cracking or subverting said code is punishable by infringement of copyright law. Most places that produce aftermarket chips are using their own mapping and different programs for how the systems of the car will operate - if hardly based on the car's original programs.

Simply put -> if you give the specifics on what exactly your chip does, what's to stop the next joe with a hex-editor and PROM-writer from making their own chips? Nothing, but at least they wont know exactly in the programming what makes your chip better? Unless of course, you're an educated programmer.

My point: I dont know how the chip works. all i can tell you is what it's based off of (flashable memory chip in hexidecimal code) and that it's so far been proven with outstanding results. If in your opinion that makes me snobbish as a 911 owner then that's your gripe, not mine.

And there's always the button, which nobody uses for some reason. As stated as well, one pelican head wrote a very in-depth review of his experience. It will take some time to find, but it's there.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 07-20-2004, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: