Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wink Electrical saga....

Ok....my '87 has been draining the battery in about 2-3 days. Finally with the help of AFJuvat I stuck an amp meter on it last night and saw it was drawing more than .25 amps. Went on to investigate.
The PO installed an alarm system which was so sensitive I've had to cut the power to the sirens just so it wouldn't wake up the neighborhood each time the wind blows.
After spending about 2 hours, completely removing the alarm, and reconnecting all the original wiring, the amp meter was still showing .17 amps.
After pulling each fuse and relay for about an hour, I finally got to the "radio, booster" fuse, which is second next to the last in the box. Sure enough, once disconnected the amps dropped down to 0.
Strange thing is, the power was being drained before I installed the stereo (which was right before pulling the alarm). I disconnected the "always on" power wire and ran a new one straight from the radio to the battery with the same result...drawing .17 amps. I'm stuck here...what's the next step to take???? The stereo is a brand new Blaupunkt, doubt if there is anything wrong with the unit itself? Any ideas?
Later on I'll post a picture of the pile of wires I've extracted from the car...if anyone lives in a shadly part of town and needs a super sensitive alarm...it's all yours!
Old 07-22-2004, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

most car amps have a constant 12v source to the amp, what you would notice as the larger gague wire. then there is a remote wire that applies voltage or ground to energize or wake up the amp by a switching source ( your head unit) . Most aftermarket radios like blaupunkt use the "blue( power antenna/amp ) " or " blue white ( amp trigger)" wire as a remote trigger. I would find the trigger wire to the amp, and disconnect that wire to see if the voltage drops. IF so you have a short somewhere that is keeping the amp on. You may have to run a new wire ( can also use the power antenna lead on the new head unit as a remote trigger for the amp)
1987 944S- GT3 BODY CONVErSION RED/BLACK( sold )
2003 MERCEDES E500 Sport "Einfarbig"
Old 07-22-2004, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I don't have a separate amp, just the head unit running four speakers....
Old 07-22-2004, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Where did you measure the amperage in the car?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

positive probe on negative cable, negative probe on negative battery post....
Old 07-22-2004, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
if your battery doesnt drain when the radio is out and you are positive the wires are hooked up correctly then it is the radio. just because something is new doesnt mean its not broken. youd be surprised about the number of electrical things that are broken when they are made. working with gateway tech support ive learned that even though something is brand new and you just got it doesnt mean that it was put together correctly.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Lightbulb

UPDATE while driving the car around today, I discovered that I still have to connect my turn signals Went to turn, fliped the lever...sold green light. This is when my Haynes would come in handy....still haven't found it....argh....
Old 07-22-2004, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
if you were in florida you could say screw it to that! hardly anyone her uses their fricken signals...

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'll just have to use hand signals for now....
Old 07-22-2004, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Umm, maybe the power antennae is drawing power?

Edit: N/M, I see it's on the 87.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

no power antenna, have the 968 kind on the rear ...even when I disconnect the antenna from the radio it still draws .17 amps...
Old 07-22-2004, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Did you get your horn grounded yet?
Old 07-22-2004, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

the horn is on the '84 no not yet, I've been meaning to take a picture to show you exactly what I was talking about, I don't think we were on the same page with that. All I see is about 5 inches of wire held by a screw on the cross member (I know it's the horn ground from earlier discussions).....cannot find the other severed end, or where it comes from....
Old 07-22-2004, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Is the 84 a manual rack? I'm guessing it's not. My answers may be void. I've never looked at a power rack. Back to the 87... do you have hazzards, brake lights, fogs, interior, ash tray lights? The instrument cluster fudge will have to be answered by someone other than me. Do me one favor though, if you can, splice a wire to the screw on the cross member and wrap a bare wire around the rack, then honk the horn. The key has to be in the on position to test on the earlies. I'm here to help.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

here is the problem, the wire from the horn is severed at some point between the firewall and the rack. all I see is a torn off wire hanging off the rack, nothing going up to the firewall...
Old 07-22-2004, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

There is not one. The steering shaft carries the ground all the way down to the rack. (even from the horn pad) From there a little brown wire grounds it out to the cross member. Now if you are talking about the actual horns that sound, you can test those and wire them up accordingly. I'd like to tell you that there is hair around the other screw point on the rack, but I'd be lying.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

my little brown wire is severed...there is about 5 inches dangling off the cross member...and I cannot see where it would enter the steering shaft...I think we're getting closer...thanks for sticking with me on this one...it would all be a lot easier if I could just find my darn Haynes manual...
Old 07-22-2004, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Haynes won't help you at all, trust me. Been there, done that. Take everything out, including: steering wheel, turn sigs, ing switch ( 8mm allen), dme, steering shaft cartridge, (don't forget the shearing bolts, and the 2 others nearer the fire wall) the steering shaft should pull out towards you as you sit at the helm, if you release the intermediate shaft. (13mm, just below the brake res.) The doughnut at the fire may or may not be a problem, I changed mine. Easy test, yank your horn pad and ground it out. I'd be willing to bet it won't honk b/c you aren't grounded at the rack. Splice that little 5 inch wire, protect it with electrical tape, then secure it to the rack, find where it's supposed to go. Keep in mind, the rack is not grounded, note the rubber bushings that surround the mounting sleeves.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

87s usually have the windshield antenna. There is a small signal amplifier that is powered from the radio as part of this antenna. The power lead for this amp (sorry, I'm at work and don't have any books, etc available for wire colors) should be connected to the power antenna lead from your radio (the one that would raise and lower a power antenna if you had one) so that it is powered only when the radio is on and the ignition switch is at on or accessory position. If it is connected to the always on lead, then it will always draw about .15 amps regardless of radio on/off and ignition on/off.

Even though you have the 968 style antenna, the old signal amp may still be under the dash and connected - just a thought. Also, I don't know about the 968 antenna but it may also have a signal amp and may be wired wrong.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
The dangling brown wire under the car connects the crossmember (ground) to the steering rack.

The ground path is then through the components of the rack, steering link and the steering collumn.

It has been known to have an itermintent horn because the u-joints in the steering link are worn out and not making consistant contact.

Electrical diagrams for the early 944's can be found here on Pelican Parts.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-23-2004, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: