Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

High Output Alternator

I've put a high end sound system in my car. I have a 2400 watt Amp and a 5 farad Cap. my lights still dim. Does anybody know of a high output alt. made for 944's. I need one that puts out at least 200 Amps.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Why don't you just take yours to an alt. shop and have it rebuilt with a higher amperage rating?

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 08-16-2004, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

would they be able to get it up to 200 amps?
Old 08-16-2004, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Should be able to, I know some guys with pretty serious setups and they have their stock units rebuilt. Call a few local shops, and tell them what you need.

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 08-16-2004, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

alright, i'll try that tomorrow. One of my friends in my class at college works at a sound shop, and he was telling me that I would have to get one custom made for my car and it would be around $1000. I've looked for hours on the net, and I'm starting to believe that if a local shop can't do it, it will have to be custom cause I can't find any aftermarket alts anywhere.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
Take the system out. Too much weight plus now you're talking about an alternator that will put more strain on the engine. I say just take the system out and you'll have that much more fun at the track. Either that or just have one 12 inch sub, that's all you really need anyways
Old 08-16-2004, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I don't think you will be able to juice up your current alternator to 200 amps. Physically it is too small and you would have to do something major to cooling for it to last.

There was an outfit that was juicing the Boschs to around 140 or 145 amps. Very poor product even at that modest increase. I fairly certain they stopped due to all the complaints.

You might be able to squeeze a big Delco in there with modifications, new brackets, etc. Expect to pay some money for that. And you will still have to do something about a cooling duct like Porsche did with the Bosch alternators.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
If your lights dim when your subs hit, you've got too much soundsystem.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 08-17-2004, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

we don't have any track anywhere near where I live, so it's pretty much my fun day driver. I like the sound system. I just got it in and its sound awesome, so comming out is not an option.
I called my local alt. shop and they said they could rebuild that alt. but he said he probably couldn't get the supplies to juice it up any higher than what it is.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

So this is a good thread for those that want to mount the entire speaker array from the "KISS Farewell Tour II" in the back hatch of their car. May want to check if the car's electronics will handle it FIRST before writing the check.

$1K for an alternator? Man, college must be paying pretty good these days!
Old 08-19-2004, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

While you're at it, get a large capacity, good quality Class C fire extinguisher and brush up on your "American Sign Language."
Old 08-22-2004, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: