Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How to get 2 ga wire through firewall?

I have an 86 944 Turbo and i am trying to get 2 ga wire to the battery to power 2 amps. I tried searching on how to get the cable through the firewall without any drilling but all i found were a couple of vague responses. So basically how do i get this wire through the firewall? Keep in mind that i do not want to drill/cut. Pics and/or very specific locations would be very helpful. thanks.

Last edited by pwr2max; 08-18-2004 at 04:55 AM..
Old 08-17-2004, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I know there is a spot on the drivers side , next to the fuse box, behind the black rubber strip that runs from passenger side to driver side to seal the engine heat from fresh air. There is a big black grommet that is just below the bottom of the windshield.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

There's a nice access spot through the firewall at an existing grommet located directly behind the battery (at least on my early car). After fishing for the wire for awhile, I finally just removed my glove box to ease access to it. Piece of cake. YMMV.
08 Mercedes-Benz E 350 Sport
Old 08-17-2004, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Yup there is a hole right behind the battery as mentioned by bertman....... it should have a rubber grommet that reappears behind the glove compartment.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 08-17-2004, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
It's the pass through for the antenna in the windshield. Be careful not to pull the wire out of the windsheild.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

yah i see the one by the battery but is that big enough for 2 ga wire? Also, how do you take it out...pry it out with a screw driver? Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Pry the grommet out. Use a round file to slightly enlarge the hole. Pass your 2 gage wire through the grommet. Use silicon spray to help the grommet back into the hole. You may have to remove the glove box to get to the other side of the grommet to get it back in. Don't leave the grommet out.

While you are fiddling with the wiring. Jack up the car and clean the connections on the starter. The large wire. This is the path the alternator power comes back through. Might want to get an adjustable regulator for your alternator and tweak it to 14.6 volts.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 08-18-2004, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

how do i fit the grommet back in when i have the wire taking up the space? Do I need a new grommet with a hole in it or can i just use plumbers puttty, etc.? thanks.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: