Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

@$%#^%! Hood struts!

I dearly love my Porsche but these hood stuts are single worst idea I've ever encountered!

Is there any easy way to install them? I got oil from the old strut on my hands and now I can't compress the new one enough to fit with my bare hands.

The fact that they die yearly just enhances the experience.

Old 09-29-2004, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You probably know this, but just in case, be very careful not to break your windshield with the back corners of your hood when doing this.

I'm currently clamping a pair of vice grips onto piston shaft of the bad shock to keep the hood open (don't do this on a good one or it will mar the surface and destoy the seal making the good one a bad one). Since I've had such bad experience with these struts, I'll probably continue to do this until I come up with a tool idea to hold these compressed for installation, but so far I've got nothing.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Once I get mad enough I can push the little bastids down. This time the wife came out, (with a cold one), and pushed the pin in while I held it.

Ain't love grand?

(She's still not gonna drive it!)
Old 09-29-2004, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Buy a piece of 3/4 inch dowel. Cheaper than struts.

Seriously; Wad up a blanket to put between the windshield surround and the hood to protect against damage while changing struts. Another example of the Porsche "OOPS" school of design.

Excellence was expected...What happened?
Old 09-30-2004, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
i use a bamboo fishing pole, front and rear
Old 09-30-2004, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Excellent advice guys!

Many thanks
Old 09-30-2004, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You are entirely welcome.

Like with so many things, take your time, don't force anything and it will be hunky dory.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2004, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Well, my hood struts took about 15 seconds apiece when I did them in early spring. POP out came the old, POP in went the new.

Me and MikeCT did his hood struts today... HOLY CRAP WHAT A PAIN. We both used the same brand struts, bought from Pelican. For some reason they were longer than the old struts already on his car. The hood wouldn't go high enough to put on the new ones (!!!) We ended up having to unbolt the hood and put the struts on first (yes, we tried just compressing the strut). They work fine now.

Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 10-01-2004, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: