Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
Why I hate the rain part 2

well lets see...it took me 2 and a half hours to get to work today because every old granny was out on the road doing 15 mph in a light rain, which turned to a pouring rain tonight. I take ocean pkwy to work (down by the beach, and end up having to turn around because some dumbass wasnt wearing his seatbelt and drove off the road (how you drive off a road that is perfectly straight for 10 miles is beyond me) and decided to eject himself out of his pickup truck. Cops blocked everything off and I had to back track everything (i was 3/4 of the way to work and had to turn around). Go back up to Southern state where I sit in stop and go traffic for 15 exits.

Then on top of that the starter solenoid took a ****, resulting in a clicking noise only. It only gave up after we put the car on a battery charger/starter and gave the starter 20 volts. A lot of sparks later the car finally kicked over, but I doubt it will turn over tomorrow. The past few cold days its been acting up, being really slow to start (i turn the key and hear nothing, 3 seconds later the car turns over). The starter is kinda beat as a whole, being slow to turn the car over when cold (even in the summer it wasnt as quick as I heard some 944s) but I have two options. I can either order the solenoid separate from Performance Products, which will cost me around $58 bucks, or I can order a starter from Pelican for $160.

A starter from Performance Products is 269.99, plus a $75 core charge. So that is out of the question....good luck trying to rape me on that one.

So what do you think I should do?

I checked my battery and leads and when the car is off I get 12.34 volts, so the charging system is fine.

On top of that, I found out my tires today in the rain are absolute ****. With out any major use of the gas pedal (drive off normally from the light), the passenger wheel would just spin like a bastard. These Toyos have extremely poor water evacuation, and I would never recommend them to anyone. Time to pick up a set of Blizzaks for the winter...

oh did I mention that its 38 degrees outside and its pouring rain as well? With a chance of SNOW tomorrow??

Last edited by bluebullet; 11-12-2004 at 11:12 PM..
Old 11-12-2004, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you've said a lot about your starting circiuit, but it may not be as complicated as you think it is out of simple aggravation. The most expensive is the last place i would look for replacing parts just out of pure intuition. a battery should be around 13.2 volts ( 6 cells x 2.2v = 13.2v) fully charged. any auto parts store can tell you how reliable the battery is. the charging system on any car should be around 14 to 15 volts if charging correctly. so many simple things to be looked at first
Old 11-13-2004, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
well I checked all the small things, like battery grounds. Made sure they were all tight and clean. My battery connections where a little corroded so I cleaned them and went from 9V to 12.3. When the car is running i get 14v. My boss also pointed out that my starter connections were rusted pretty bad, and I cracked the plastic back cover on solenoid trying to take the wires off when I was doing the clutch. Since they did not budge, I left them on, but there was already a crack in the cover from my attempt. I wonder if over time the moisture is getting into the solenoid and destroying things.

I also swapped a new battery into the car with no results.

The car has only done it one other time, right after I put the clutch in like 3 months ago. This morning I went out and it cranked over just fine, which boggles me a little. I still plan on changing it soon, because who knows when it will do it again.

Old 11-13-2004, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: