Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Bryan's Progress Thread

I'm starting the work on my water pump... It's my first time, so I'm a little nervous.

So far, I've removed the front timing cover, got the car on stands, and set it to TDC. My next step is to take the starter off so I can install my flywheel lock, but the two starter bolts are stuck. Those guys are soaking in PB for the night. I sprayed down the water pump bolts that I can get to also.

anyway, even this little bit of progress seems like a major accomplishment... for me
Old 03-31-2005, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Baby steps.

Go slow and sure like the tortoise.

www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-31-2005, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Go slow, be thorough, and label EVERYTHING-even if you have done it before. I have a good friend that is a master Porsche technician and he is meticulous to the enth detail and his work is awesome. Pretty soon you'll be ready to tackle bigger projects.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

To reiterate again, go slow. The oil seals probably need attention as well.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Thanks, guys I have all of the bolts I've taken off so far labeled and in individual peanut-butter jars. I've found peanut butter jars to be far superior to anything else... becuase they bounce when they fall off of the shelf, instead of shattering all over the place, spilling their contents into every far-reaching corner of the world. Whew, glad I got that out
Old 03-31-2005, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
If you don't have to seal the shafts you can cut the rear cover horizonally just under the water pump then remove just the top section.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Got the first starter bolt off... man that was freakin' solid. When I put those two bolts back in, should I use some loctite blue or anything?
Old 04-02-2005, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
How do you eat an elephant, Bryan?

One bite at a time. Just torque those bolts tightly back in and they should be fine. Good luck!
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 04-02-2005, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
How do you eat an elephant, Bryan?
I'm going real slow, one step at a time, of course.

I made some good progress so far this afternoon... Starter is off, flywheel lock is on, alternator belt removed, and I got the crank bolt off surprisingly easily. I remember a thread a few weeks ago where another member here had a big problem getting his crank bolt off, so I was surprised when all I needed was a 24" breaker bar and it loosened up.

So, according to step 9 of Clark's Garage Timing & balance removal instructions:
Quote:
Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt using a 24mm or 15/16" deep socket. Remove the power steering pulley. Remove the alternator/AC pulley and balance belt gear as a unit from the crankshaft.
Any favorite methods for removing those? Is there any specific kind or name for the type of gear puller I will need?
Old 04-03-2005, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I am really learning about patience here, btw... This is a good thing. I haven't sworn once, and only have one bloody knuckle. I even took a 10 minute break to help my grandpa get his Datsun pickup put back together.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
woohoo! I was able to get the crank gear off today... It had soaked for 2 days in PB and I was able to very carefully pry it off. The gear puller I bought wouldn't fit, and I read that other people had used this method successfully, so I did it... very slowly.

Also, I got all of the water pump bolts off. None were very difficult, the bottom one though, was disgusting looking from the leak. I'm about to pop it off and see what I can see

Whilst working under the car, I got a call from my real estate agent -- My offer was accepted!! I close on my house May 1 W00t!!
Old 04-04-2005, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: