Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Jmasters
Cheap E-code lights

I was looking through ArnnWorx Specialty Tools web site http://www.arnnworx.com/
and came across his new Lighting write up, and found out about a lower quality e-code lights, that you can get through JC whitney They are $25 each, so I figured that they would be better than the cracked lights I had. I installed relays because the bulbs are 90/130
The lights seem well made, supose to be lead crystal, they have a E 20 marking on them,
heres the low beams

heres the high beams

and the daily driver, that I can finnaly see at night with

many thanks to Bruce at ArnnWorx for the lighting writeup
and heres the link to the lights
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2003792/c-10101/p-2003792/Ne-600002822/N-111+10201+600002822/tf-Browse/sct-body/s-10101/th-StoreCatalogDisplay/ss-10101
Old 04-08-2005, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You will want to be sure your low beams are low. A good reflector/lens will have a clean cut off line. No reason to blind oncoming drivers with your lows.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

heres pic's fo the old cracked lights they were the diamond cut pattern cheap lights from ebay, for comparsion,these were taken after I did the relay install. the bulbs are 90/130 also
the lows

and the highs

Old 04-08-2005, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i am parked on a slight slope,
Old 04-08-2005, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I just checked out the site you got your information from and his schematic for the head lights in the 944's is wrong.

The power to the light switch (for the headlights) is direct from the battery. From the light switch the power goes to the dimmer relay. From the relay it goes to the fuse block where it splits off to single fuses for each of the head light elements. That's four fuses.

However this does not matter when the added fuses and relays of the current capacity indicated are added. Still I would put four relays and four fuses in place to provide some level of redundancy. Fuses as close to the battery as practical. Relays between the fuses and the lights. Might want to up the wire gauge. Keep and eye on the stock wire if you use it. check and clean all of the grounds behind the head lights and at the battery to the chassis.

If you do replace the wires match the stock runs bend for bend. This is the secret to keep them from breaking or getting caught up in the head light rotation arms.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Jmasters
i am parked on a slight slope,
I can see that. Just be nice and don't blind oncoming drivers. I've been using E code H-4's in my 944 since 1985. Was the second thing I changed. The first was to put my signiture Fitipauldi steering wheel on.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to auh
Cool switch man...now are these lights just plug n play? or do you need to change the wireing? As most know now, I deliver pizza's in my 944 and now that its getting warmer it would be better to have the best headlights I could get so I can see pedestrians
Old 04-08-2005, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I wired in two 40 amp relays, to take the amps way from the switch. but the lens are plug n play, it just depends what watt of bulb you run. I also ran new wires to the lights 12g wire.
I still need to run another relay for my 100 Watt fogs
Old 04-08-2005, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
You need to change the ground wire size out too.

At 100 watts they are no longer "fog" lights. I see from reading related treads on other 944 boards that the states in your area are cracking down on drivers who have their "fog" lights on when there is no fog.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Re: Cheap E-code lights

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmasters
came across his new Lighting write up, and found out about a lower quality e-code lights, that you can get through JC whitney They are $25 each, so I figured that they would be better than the cracked lights I had. I installed relays because the bulbs are 90/130
The lights seem well made, supose to be lead crystal, they have a E 20 marking on them http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2003792/c-10101/p-2003792/Ne-600002822/N-111+10201+600002822/tf-Browse/sct-body/s-10101/th-StoreCatalogDisplay/ss-10101

Those are E-Code lenses, you can tell from the cutoff. Though from your picture it looks like a pretty poor flare up that doesn't extend fully to the side so you will suffer on side vision. Where signs and critters lurk as well as turning right. But Poland was never known as an automotive lighting powerhouse (that is where they were certified - E20) so guess not a surprise. The other thing to watch is the adhesive holding the glass lens to the reflector. Many of the cheaper lens' adhesive will not hold up to a 90 watt low beam bulb in warm weather and the glass will fall off after awhile.

You only have to spend $30 a lens more for top quality so why go with JC Whitney?
Old 04-09-2005, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: