Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to jakemu24
PS problem

in the cold when i turn my steering wheel it screeches very loud. When the car warms up this loud noise disappears. I'm guessing that the filter is clogged in the ps reserviour. Also, the ps fluid is full of air bubbles. It looks like pure froth and it doesnt appear to go away. Whats my problem and how should i fix it?
Old 01-02-2006, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to BananaClip
first impression is that the problem is the air in the system. bleed it first, and don't forget to check the hoses while you're down there. I was fiddling with mine today (leak on the reservoir to pump hose) and the damn $40 hose tore in my hands!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

how do u bleed the system?
Old 01-03-2006, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Haha, I was just parroting what the haynes manual says. they give a sorta half-assed explanation of what to do.
(not verbatim)
1. power steering must be bled if a line is disconnected, low fluid level can cause air to mix with fluid resulting in noisy pump and foaming fluid.
2. check level of fluid, add enough to bring it up to proper level
3. start engine and slowly turn wheel from lock to lock several times. check the level, topping up as necessary until it remains steady and no more bubbles appear in reservoir.
4. when starting, fluid levels must not rise more than 10mm. If it does, you have too much air in the lines and must repeat the procedure until deviation is within specified limits.

from all i'm reading there and elsewhere, you should jack the front end up so there isn't as much resistance :P

(i've never done this before FYI but I actually need to tomorrow since i just replaced that bad line earlier tonight)
Old 01-03-2006, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

thanks for the info. tell me how it goes with ur car. by the way, the fluid is ATF dextron right?
Old 01-04-2006, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

dextron II. I can't seem to find a bottle that says anything other than "HAY BUY THIS POWER STEERING FLUID ITS THE BEST" out here in east texas, so I'm just running the cheap stuff.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: