Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Not a good design?

Hi everyone, I've just finished a rear brake overhaul, this included new caliper seals, pistons and dust seals, bleed nipples etc, new discs, parking brake shoes and handbrake cables. I am interested to know if anybody here has tried to adjust the rear shoes as I think the engineering in this area is pretty poor, as the ratchet adjuster can be turned reasonably well in one direction but damn near impossible in the other, the reason being the top return spring sits between the adjuster teeth, (acting as an anti turning lock) which only wants to override one way, regards.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
They are that way by design. You definitely don't want them backing off easily causing you to lose braking power. American cars (with brake shoes) are built that way as well. They have auto adjusters that turn the adjusting screw automatically to keep the shoes the right distance from the drums but the self adjusters prevent the adjustment screw from backing off and loosening the brakes. That can make changing them difficult but having them easy to turn both directions is not something you want.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 01-20-2006, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

A little lithium grease on rebuild and mine turned either way but with the ratcheting effect described above. Too stiff? I used a stout screwdriver and a hammer to knock 'em back one tooth at a time - carefully, mind.
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: