Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Let's go shooting.

I think I saved this one just in the nick of time.

Just bought this as a temporary replacement for the wife's 2.7 - but that's another (tragic comedy of preventable errors) story

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170194094987&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007

Looked like a great deal in the auction and the emailed back and forths. I was going to go and take a look at it for a test drive but something came up before the auction was due to end and so I eventually bought it on the strength of the assurance that the engine had been rebuilt 15 K back.

'How bad could it be?' I reckoned. 'If the engine has been reconditioned and it ain't rusty then it'll just be the usual electrical niggles and perhaps a few leaks that I've dealt with relatively easily over the past fifteen years of 944 ownership.'

So I bought it unseen and collected it at night. Ho. Ho. The owner assured me that it was his cross to bear in that he was a perfectionist and that if he couldn't do something "just right" then he took it off to be sorted to his standards by a pro. I can laugh about that now ... now that I've sorted out the most pressing problems. In fact both me and the wife do laugh about it. A whole lot. Every time we find another unusual approach to maintenance either me or the wife will do a passable impression of that pompous boast.

So the "niggling fault with the fuse blowing that I haven't had time to look at which covers the indicators / mirrors / rear wiper" made us laugh when I figured out he'd wired up the consol switch wrongly. Ten minute fix once some logical thought had been put into it.

We also laughed over the fact that he'd pulled the rear view mirror "because I like to drive slowly and don't want to be bothered by all those people in my mirror".

We also giggled when we found he'd moved the professionally installed Toad alarm switch near the steering wheel "because I didn't like it where they'd put it on the centre consol" - leaving nine inches of wire dangling out of the light switch. I laughed a little less when the Toad 'brain' and several feet of spaghetti fell out from behind the vent duct where it'd been stuffed when I pulled the light switch.

"Hmmm. Looks like I've some tidying up to do here. Oh, and I notice that he's welded the seat to the floor pan because it was obviously easier to do that than patch the cracked beam that supports the captive nuts."

Okay ... none of this is a real problem. When I take it in to get the dents on every panel including the one on the roof (!!??) sorted I'll have them weld in a few plates I've made up. In the meantime I'll see if I can find a decent door check instead of that piece of angle iron with some nuts welded to it.

I think the laughter really stopped though when I went to investigate the frayed alternator and power steering belts - which were "brand new recently".

Initially they had started to rub against each other - making a squeaking noise on start up. This ceased when the ribbed alternator belt gradually moved away from the belt and settled for being half on half off the pulleys.

Looking up from underneath the car I noticed that the reason that the belt was almost off was down to the aircon compressor being at a strange angle - kicking the belt out of line. "S'funny' it all looks securely bolted. What could be causing that?"

Turns out that at some point during 'maintenance' (?) that one of the compressor mounting lugs had broken off. A 'repair' had been affected to provide support to the broken area ... consisting of a steel mount lovingly crafted (with an angle grinder) from what looks to be an engine mount from a Honda C90 step-thru moped. Unfortunately there was a half-inch gap twixt mount and suspension bracket. No matter - our hero had an ace up his sleeve to deal with this - in the shape of a packing spacer to make up the difference. Interesting use of the upper part of a moped handlebar clamp!

At 3 AM of a Monday morning this tends to take the smile off your face - especially as I'd blown the bulk of my weekend sorting out all this sort of nonsense. Temporarily I've rotated the compressor 90 degrees to use the unbroken lugs - fortunately they're identically placed - although it can't stay like that because the oil drain plug is now facing upwards.

Ah well. Once I'd tightened the steering wheel and bolted up the steering column ("it tends to vibrate a bit at certain speeds") and ignition switch bolt things weren't so bad. It actually handles very well and the engine pulls pretty decently with good oil pressure - especially now I've reconnected the sender wires.

I think I've saved this one just in the nick of time. Everything else seems to be the usual normal stuff. Haven't found any socks yet.

I've still to leave feedback - although my mum always says "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all."

And yes, I did put the steering wheel back on the right way round - if you were wondering what was wrong with the pic of the interior but couldn't quite put your finger on it.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."

Last edited by Dark Skies; 03-04-2008 at 05:05 PM..
Old 03-04-2008, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
If you didn't find socks then they must not of been tensioned recently. I can ship you some freshly tensioned socks ASAP seeing as you shouldn't run the car without them. Haven't you learned anything on Pelican while you have been here?

I am deeply disappointed in you.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 03-04-2008, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracing944 View Post
If you didn't find socks then they must not of been tensioned recently. I can ship you some freshly tensioned socks ASAP seeing as you shouldn't run the car without them. Haven't you learned anything on Pelican while you have been here?

I am deeply disappointed in you.

Speedy
I'll probably swing by Tesco on my way back from work and get a pair of pattern socks. If you've got a set in your trunk you'll never need them. Hopefully.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
I just ran into the garage and found a spare new sock. I tensioned it to 'new' specs for you. PM me with you address and I will get it out to you right away.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 03-04-2008, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
I just ran into the garage and found a spare new sock. I tensioned it to 'new' specs for you. PM me with you address and I will get it out to you right away.

Speedy

The jokes on you. That's for the later oval dash. The earlier models use gossamer tights - later changed because of their tendency to snap at speed.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Trying to work for parts!

Send a message via Yahoo to hpservertech
Now all you need to do is figure out how in the world he got the steering wheel to work on the wrong side of the car and who made that custom dash to go with it.

Otherwise, nice looking car!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Congratulations for saving one from its former owner and the breaker. It's amazing the things that people do sometimes... the guy that used to own my car had the perfect solution for electrical problems. Just remove the wires, or if they aren't easy to get at just cut them in a few places and leave the bits behind. He also blew the timing belt and managed to put the car back together wrong, breaking the belt immediately a second time.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
I stand sorely corrected.... it took some promises and wheedling but I was able to get my wife out of her Gossamers for some proper tensioning.

Speedy
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Greasy Member

I couldn't resist!!
The right and wrong sock tensions
-Yes, I'm the crazy man that will loan out my 9201. Just PM me, I will add you to the list and get it out ASAP.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Skies View Post
... consisting of a steel mount lovingly crafted (with an angle grinder) from what looks to be an engine mount from a Honda C90 step-thru moped.
It was at this point in the post I literally busted a gut laughing.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
Quote:
I stand sorely corrected.... it took some promises and wheedling but I was able to get my wife out of her Gossamers for some proper tensioning.

Speedy

Speedy,

Got any pictures of that tensioning procedure?

Dark Skies...

Previous Owners.... "Don't you just want to cheesewire his nuts off with rusty cattle wire." I am still laughing over that one. I agree with Schumi....your quotes are like Mastercard...priceless!

Keyed paintwork

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually

Last edited by Razorback1980; 03-04-2008 at 10:17 PM..
Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:

Speedy
Y'know, come to think of it, I might be the one who stands to be corrected. I seem to recall early 85s used bra straps. Er ... any chance your wife could be persuaded to demonstrate the correct tensioning procedure for this?

Old 03-05-2008, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: