Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Disassembling a 5 speed Transmission (Pic.)

Well I installed my replacement tranny this week and it works great - shifts without any crunch and doesn't make any noises. My old tranny had a loud tapping noise, louder when warm that was related to speed - sounded like someone was back there with a ball pein hammer!

Anyway I am disassembling the old one to see what the problem was. I took off the RH side cover expecting to see a tooth missing on the ring and pinion, but they look OK. theres a ton of stuff on the magnet though and the stub shaft bearing is worn and pitted.

My question is how to proceed from here to disassemble. I tried to remove the rear most chunk and it has begun to come off by about a sixteenth of an inch but doesn't want to move any further. Does this piece just need to be pulled off more forcefully or do you first split the thing at the next joint towards the front? Anyone with any experience in this area?

Currently driving 2005 Audi A4
Currently driving 1998 Grand Cherokee sometimes
Old 04-19-2008, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I take it you have removed the shift linkage?
Seperate at largest flange first will take some force due to the dowells top and bottem.
Then lever out rear round plastic seal at the very rear, you will see a large nut, this needs to be undone and all will become clear.

Last edited by JamesO; 04-19-2008 at 11:43 AM..
Old 04-19-2008, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Trying to work for parts!

Send a message via Yahoo to hpservertech
Put it back together and give it a good blast with the power washer.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpservertech View Post
Put it back together and give it a good blast with the power washer.

That would help the most. You might be asble to see something that is covered in goop.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You will need to start where you say "Try There" first. I think you need to remove the selector part first. You remove the bolts first and then try to separate the gear case from the diff carrer case. It is quite tight and you need some force to separate the two.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I got it apart - just had to "tap" a little harder. (Well also had to remove the shifting pieces). I'm not fixing it - I was just curious to see if I could figure out the tapping sound.

Again the gears look OK inside the tranny but the magnet at the rear has a ton of shavings on it. Of course this car has 185,000 miles so if that's the original tranny what else would you expect!

Thanks everybody for the tips and advice.

Next stop for this tranny is my local scrap metal recycler

Last edited by Aufenbahn; 04-19-2008 at 02:51 PM..
Old 04-19-2008, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Greasy Member

Don't recycle it just yet!!
PM sent.

-Nick
-Yes, I'm the crazy man that will loan out my 9201. Just PM me, I will add you to the list and get it out ASAP.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yea, come on....keep taking it apart and get us some pics
Old 04-19-2008, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If you want inside pics I'll take some on Monday

Old 04-20-2008, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Would love to see someone take theirs apart. that way I dont have to take mine apart just to see what it looks like.

lol
Old 04-20-2008, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
I have a blown one that I think I should take apart, could be fun. I wanna see inside ;-)
Old 04-20-2008, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Awsome. Always more fun to break it then it is to fix it.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Here's the photos:

First I removed the side cover. Note the magnet and all the bits stuck on it.

This is the worst damage I found - this bearing race is toast.

This is an exploded view - I slid the splined coupling on to show where that goes.

The main gears are mostly in the cast iron part of the housing.

This is the case with the differential gears set in place:

Here's one of the stub axles that your CV's bolt to, and how it goes into the diff assembly:

So there you have it.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

That actually doesn't look all that bad. I've seen some much, much worse then that.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
You wanna see damage

Old 04-21-2008, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I turned my axles around and repacked the CVs at the same time - now I'm wondering if the CV joints were making the noise but it doesn't seem possible - It was a loud bang bang bang - one bang per revolution. Louder on acceleration and quieter on deceleration.

But anyway it works nice now and shifts way better, so I'm happy

Old 04-21-2008, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TNT25169
This is by far the best thread for a transmission I have ever seen on this board. Good pictures and good descriptions of what I'm looking at. Thanks guys.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Since this turned into a more general thread on transmissions, I'll take the liberty of chiming in with a question. I just finished replacing a 3rd gear synchro and installing shorter 5th gear in an 89 S2 transmission (which is mechanically identical to earlier gearboxes to my knowledge). This was my first time inside a 944 gearbox. After reassembly and installatation, I found I've lost the spring centering of the shift lever. That is, it doesn't want to center on the 3-4 shift plane. It shifts through all the gears just fine, but without the spring centering, it wants to stay in whatever plane I shift it into (either 1-2, 3-4, or 5-R). Because of this, there's a greater risk of a missed shift. As far as I know everything went back the way it was supposed to, but obviously, something is not right.

When I manipulated the shift linkage on the gearbox before installing it in the car, it seemed to work fine -- it felt like it was centering on the 3-4 plane. (But I wish I had tried this before disassembly so I'd have some basis for comparison). But now that it's in the car, there's not enough force in the spring centering mechanism to center it with the shift linkage and lever attached. I know that makes it sound like the external linkage, but I think the external stuff is okay, and that something is wrong inside. It's as if the internal springs are not strong enough. Could I have assembled something wrong inside?

Any ideas?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

The Haynes 924 manual has a great chapter on this.

Thanks for the pics and such. I've got a dying tranny in my 944 (well, it's been dying for years and just doesn't quit) and love to pull things apart, too.
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 930 View Post
Since this turned into a more general thread on transmissions, I'll take the liberty of chiming in with a question. I just finished replacing a 3rd gear synchro and installing shorter 5th gear in an 89 S2 transmission (which is mechanically identical to earlier gearboxes to my knowledge). This was my first time inside a 944 gearbox. After reassembly and installatation, I found I've lost the spring centering of the shift lever. That is, it doesn't want to center on the 3-4 shift plane. It shifts through all the gears just fine, but without the spring centering, it wants to stay in whatever plane I shift it into (either 1-2, 3-4, or 5-R). Because of this, there's a greater risk of a missed shift. As far as I know everything went back the way it was supposed to, but obviously, something is not right.

When I manipulated the shift linkage on the gearbox before installing it in the car, it seemed to work fine -- it felt like it was centering on the 3-4 plane. (But I wish I had tried this before disassembly so I'd have some basis for comparison). But now that it's in the car, there's not enough force in the spring centering mechanism to center it with the shift linkage and lever attached. I know that makes it sound like the external linkage, but I think the external stuff is okay, and that something is wrong inside. It's as if the internal springs are not strong enough. Could I have assembled something wrong inside?

Any ideas?
Rob, if you look on top of the transaxle where the shift linkage attaches to, this round shaft is spring loaded. The spring keeps this selector shaft in neutral. Perhaps the spring came off when you took it out. Check out this pic.

2018 Suburban Z71
Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: