Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

hand brake issue please help

i have a issue with my hand brake. when i pull it up it wont roll forward but it still rolls backward if im on a hill. if i pull it going forward the car will stop. but it has no use when i roll backwards so i cant park on a hill ill just keep rolling down so i leave it in first gear. i looked at the hand brake lever the cable is slightly loose. when i pull the hand brake all the way up it clicks 10 times.. is that to much? any thing i should check out besides the brake lever adjustment?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

nevermind. i adjusted the lever to 7 clicks and it works fine now!
Old 12-26-2009, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have mine set to 4 clicks and it holds both ways on hills. 1st click is enough to feel it start to grab.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Check the handle and make sure that it isn't bent! it should be completely flat around the pivots and bolts. It can get bent by putting weight on the handle, getting in and out of the car, or laying upside down on the seat, through the door, to look under the dash..

My parking brake would pull up high, but would still roll backwards, like yours..

Found out after trying to adjust my parking shoes, and not getting anywhere, figured my shoes were worn out, so I bought a good set of used shoes, and proceded to take my parts off and go to replace with the good used shoes, only to find that my shoes were still in good shape with decent amount of lining still there, they would adjust correctly, but the handle wouldn't pull them tight, then I found a section on clarks about adjusting the handle cable..

Started looking at my handle closer between the rocker/carpet area and found a C-clip missing from one of the pivot shafts on the handle, and the sheet metal on the handle around that pivot area was bent up really bad.. Took the handle apart and used the internal ratchet plate as a backing and clamped it a few times in the vice to straighten out the sheetmetal. found some c-clips at the local hardware store, replaced, then adjusted to 3-4 clicks, working great now.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
On Boost

all i know is in australia the road worthey law is if it clickes more then 7 times it's not safe

tighen it, make it click around 4-5 times and make sure it dosnt roll backwards down the hill.

better be safe them sorry i guess. I and i really dont want to hear "last night my 944 rolled down a hill and wrapped it self around a power pole".
Old 12-27-2009, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Lapponia
masters88! Always start from the back when adjusting parking brakes. Adjusts brake shoes until they make it almost impossible to turn the wheel hub then back off a little with the adjusting screw just to release hub (needs very little to do this). Lastly adjust handbrake lever to 3 - 4 click to make full braking in all directions of the car.
Funny though, its the same procedure as in my old 1960 Beetle LOL
Old 12-27-2009, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to cvriv.charles
Dont trust your HB. Park it in gear.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: