Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Adam944 Send a message via Yahoo to Adam944
Question What's the problem?

Ok I have a 1984 Porsche 944 na, high miles but engine rebuilt by previous owner prob within last 20-30,000 miles. A couple weeks ago I was driving it (and had been driving it pretty hard that night) when it shut down, as it is prone to do. But this time it wouldn't restart when I removed the #1 spark wire, started it on 3, replaced wire, and restarted it. It just makes this noise- like the starter or something is running but absolutely nothing else, I don't think the engine is turning at all. Did my belts go (something I've been fearing) or what? It didnt make any loud noises when it happened, which would happen when the cylinder would have hit the valve if it had been the belt, right? Any advice on how to diagnos/fix this problem would be greatly appreciated, as well as a possible reference to a good German mechanic(s) in the southwestern PA area. Currently the car sits back home in my garge in PA while I am briefly in Wyoming, with a Haynes manual laying on my poor babys hood, hoping maybe some osmosis will help her...

Adam

www.angelfire.com/mp/porsche944
Old 02-13-2002, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bob's944
Angry

I would check to see if your timing belt is turning or not. You can do that by seeing if you are getting spark to more than one plug, or you can remove the cover and look. If you were to break the belt while it was running, you're not goin to hear the valves hit. Hopefully it's only one or two of them if it did break a belt. Good luck...
Old 02-13-2002, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Adam944 Send a message via Yahoo to Adam944
Can I see it through that little whole in the cover, and should it turn when I turn the ignition?
Old 02-13-2002, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bob's944
Porsche Crest

yes... if the distributor rotor is turning, then the belts are still on at least... that doesn't mean it might not have eaten some teeth and slipped though, only a closer inspection of the belts will tell u that, or a timing check.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Adam, I don't think its a belt issue (I could be wrong). I know Pittsburgh is a trek from Indiana, PA but I would recommend German Motor Werks in the city or a place called C G Performance. These shops know 944s inside and out and I've had nothing but good luck with them.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PorscheG96
Replace your cap and rotor, check your coil, and make sure the engine is getting fuel. I had my rotor just FAIL on me one time, it was really strange and unexpected because it had been replaced 6 months prior. If you heard nothing when the car died it's not your belts. Good luck, hope you're back on the road soon!
Old 02-13-2002, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

.....But this time it wouldn't restart when I removed the #1 spark wire, started it on 3, replaced wire, and restarted it. ... ??**&%$?

Start with what Bob is saying... pull the belt cover to have a look see that the belts are in place and have snug tension. Then manually turn the motor (from the main crankshaft pully bolt) to top dead center looking for the timing mark at the rear of the engine and alignment of the mark on the camshaft pully. If your belts are snug and you have timing alignment, you can put away your worst fears. If you don't follow this first step, you run the risk of further damage to the engine. If this checks, then make sure you have spark and continue the fun.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Check timing and hope it all lines up (noted above), check cap and rotor (mine also failed this way) and check Fuel pump relay. Cap and rotor and or fuel pump relay failure will shut the car right down.

Also if it turns out you need head work.... I can get you a 924S 1987 head complete with only 53K miles on it for $350!

Good luck and I hope it does not come to head replacement.... I do not think it is though.

Eric
ERic.Lynch@itt.com
Old 02-14-2002, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: