Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
How do you Remove dash cap

hey guys ive fallen victim to the comon dash crack im wonding if theres any way to remove the top half of the dash being the cap. my porsche is a 85.5 new dash could really use the help

Vortex account
http://forums.vwvortex.com/member.php?434214-Mk3TG

Last edited by mk3tg; 10-27-2011 at 06:03 AM..
Old 10-27-2011, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
Go to Clark's Garage:

Clark's Garage Home Page

It's a very good write up. Take progress pictures and label wiring connectors. The are many previous posts on dash removal. Take your time - patience is a requirement.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
+1^ Do go to clark's

It would seem to most that a dash removal would be a daunting task, but on the contrary they are not that bad. Most all of the wiring that is disconnected is all in plug form and will only go back on one place and only one way. There are three little light bulbs that must be put back into place (I think one of them is a vent arrow light, etc), but even if they are missed the dash removal/install project will work when finished. Do not loose any of the screws that come out as they will need to be put back on

I took my dash out to recover in leather. Start to finish, and including recovering the dash with the leather (Leather dash cover from Classic 9 Leather shop) was a two day/weekend job.
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 10-27-2011, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Cocacola
Did you recover the dash yourself? My dash (924S) is badly cracked and I'm most of the way to having it out fixing electrical gremlins anyways. I read a write up about using Lamb leather ( I think) to recover it , but maybe better to buy ready made kit
Old 10-27-2011, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
I have recovered dashes using both methods. Ready made and using just leather. Calf skin is large enough and feels well, plus works well to recover a dash (About $200.00 worth). For the minimal savings of doing your own stitching/sewing on the leather to fit the dash always go with the Dash recover kit. If you are very good working with leather to recover the dash (Allot of experience) then get the Calf Skin, if not do the kit - will keep from wasting allot of leather and a crummy appearance of an unskilled dash recover as they are some what difficult.

See:
Classic 9 Leather Shop: Dashboard, Leather Console Panel Covers Porsche Automobiles

Very good kits, great cost and excellent customer service. Plus there specialty are the water cooler Porsches.

Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 10-27-2011, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: