Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Any idea what is causing this noise?

I've replaced the driver's side rear wheel bearing, all the CV joints, shocks, checked rear brakes, and made sure the tires are not rubbing. The noise originally started only going around right hand curves...now it's present when accelerating on the straight. When I release the gas pedal, the noise goes away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok7jtmDvmF4&feature=youtu.be&list=UU6qMnjLAp6r82CXJrtoHhmg

I recorded this video with my phone being held behind the driver's seat.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I can't tell which noise you're talking about. Is it the one that sounds like muffler grumble or the whining noise? If it's the whining noise, It's likely a tire rub on the fender lip. Are your tires and wheels stock size? If so and the tires show some wear spots on the outer periphery, you might check for a broken transaxle mount or loose torsion bar mounting and adjusting hardware. Is the back of the car squatting?

If it's the grumbling sound, I couldn't be helpful.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Could be trans/differential related with a bearing loading up on throttle.
“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 11-14-2014, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The rubbing noise is my concern. I'm starting to believe the the noise is caused by a vibration. Tires are not rubbing on anything....that was my first thought. No rub marks on the tires and I have actually sprayed marking paint on the inside on wheel wells to confirm.

I pulled the transaxle mount and brace to check it and I urethaned while it was out. The car does squat when I accelerate, the noise starts when I release the clutch pedal and stops when depress the pedal. I'll check the torsion bar mounting bolts.

It may be coming from the transaxle. Is there anyway confirm without replacing or tearing apart the transaxle?
Old 11-14-2014, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Go to shop with a hub dyno. What's your location?
“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 11-14-2014, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I'm location in Maryland, about 30 minutes north of Baltimore.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Straight shooter

Garage
Google returns:

Dynapack Information | JE Import Performance

I might phone and talk to them about their service and explain you're trouble shooting a drive-train noise. This would allow you to isolate the noise with and without load in a safe environment.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Great idea, thanks! I'm going to give them a call and set up an appt.

I have put the car on stands and I couldn't replicate the noise. Hopefully the hub dyno will help find the issue or at least eliminate some possibilities.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I crawled under my car this morning to check things out again. I found the front exhaust hanger is broken off and the rubber mount is missing. I made some adjustments to the muffler hanger and took the car for a test drive. I only heard the noise a couple times!! I'm crossing my fingers that the new hanger and rubber mount will fix the issue completely.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Ah, well thats an easy fix.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: