Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 928 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-928-technical-forum/)
-   -   Sound system (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-928-technical-forum/1074351-sound-system.html)

Tim Boyer 09-28-2020 05:45 PM

Sound system

Hi,
I want to improve the sound system in my Ď84. I am looking for recommendations on head unit, need for amp(s), speakerís and need for sub woofers. I am also wondering if I would better off using more modern wiring or is the factory wiring sufficient? I am not looking for something outrageous just good sound quality.
Thank you for any suggestions!
Tim

beran earms 09-29-2020 04:49 AM

When I did my sound system upgrade I used an X pipe and a RMB! Sounds great I'm very happy.

stepson 09-29-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beran earms (Post 11044253)
When I did my sound system upgrade I used an X pipe and a RMB! Sounds great I'm very happy.

:)

Tim Boyer 09-29-2020 09:37 AM

Thanks!
I am not sure I know what a x pipe or RMB is but I will look into it. Did you use stock head unit and speakers or did you upgrade to after market components? Was an amp necessary?

stepson 09-29-2020 02:59 PM

Tim,
Beran was making a funny.

An RMB (Rear Muffler Bypass) will make your car sound more throaty. No additional HP or speed. Sound only.
An X-pipe is an engineered exhaust that joins the two sides of the engine exhaust to create less back pressure and enhance HP.

Berans' response had absolutely nothing to do with any part of the stereo, but it does make the exhaust sound even better. :)

beran earms 09-29-2020 03:35 PM

Tim I was being a wise guy, I'm glad stepson explained this, thank you stepson! I couldn't help myself because I just thought it was so funny that I actually don't even have a working radio at all! Regardless I do enjoy the sound of that wonderful engine. Maybe some day I will get to the radio. I'm sure it would be nice especially how quiet these can be with windows up..... and your foot not in it.

Tim Boyer 09-29-2020 05:28 PM

I thought you were talking about the exhaust but there are so many options today that you could have said just about anything and I would have thought it was something that was new in auto sound systems! Reminds of those old valves that the old timers use to tell me to go get!

stepson 09-29-2020 06:18 PM

Beran,

I currently only have a working radio in 1 of my 5 928s. I do enjoy hearing the engine.

Tim,

I have retro-fit a CDC220 (which is more modern Porsche radio/CD player)into a couple of my 928s. I called Stephan at SW Stereo and got the wiring mated from the old radio connector to the CDR220 radio connector. I didnt have to cut wires that way.

In addition, Hans sent me some new speaker covers for the speakers he has recommended in the past to replace existing door speakers which he recommended and I bought. They sound much much better than the originals maybe due to the age of the originals or maybe they sound better than the originals ever did. I don't know for sure. I cannot put my hands on the invoice this second, but when I find it, I'll post the vendor and the speaker model number for you.

Tim Boyer 09-30-2020 06:14 AM

Thank you!
Can I assume that you used the factory wiring harness? Is the fader on the left side of the drivers seat worth maintaining?

harborman 09-30-2020 06:39 AM

I installed a JVC touch screen radio, but they don't make it any more. It is a single DIN so fits in the same slot. It also shows DVD and CD. For a Woofer, I installed one that fits in the spare tire, made for some other car, but sounds great without any modifications to the car. I also put in an amp for the Woofer and mounted it under the passenger seat. You might find my old posts on here some place. I bought the Woofer on Ebay. It comes in it's own enclosure made to fit in the center of the spare tire. Easy to remove.

What was also neat, I put the Porsche logo into the screen on the radio. So it looks like stock!!!

stepson 09-30-2020 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Boyer (Post 11045891)
Thank you!
Can I assume that you used the factory wiring harness? Is the fader on the left side of the drivers seat worth maintaining?

Yes, I used the original factory wiring. The fader is moot with newer head units, so unless you car is a concourse queen, I'd wire around that factory fader.

harborman 10-01-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harborman (Post 11045924)
I installed a JVC touch screen radio, but they don't make it any more. It is a single DIN so fits in the same slot. It also shows DVD and CD. For a Woofer, I installed one that fits in the spare tire, made for some other car, but sounds great without any modifications to the car. I also put in an amp for the Woofer and mounted it under the passenger seat. You might find my old posts on here some place. I bought the Woofer on Ebay. It comes in it's own enclosure made to fit in the center of the spare tire. Easy to remove.

What was also neat, I put the Porsche logo into the screen on the radio. So it looks like stock!!!

This was my earlier post of the JVC. I should have cleaned the touch screen first before taking the picture.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-928-technical-forum/605129-jvc-dvd-cd-radio.html

The radio has its own fader settings, so I bypassed the one by the drivers seat.

Shawn Stanford 10-02-2020 04:14 AM

I used a Bose spare-tire subwoofer from a Nissan Murano that fit perfectly. Cheap, too.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e8dd76a641.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...22bc62ec8a.jpg

harborman 10-02-2020 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford (Post 11048525)
I used a Bose spare-tire subwoofer from a Nissan Murano that fit perfectly. Cheap, too.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e8dd76a641.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...22bc62ec8a.jpg

I installed one just like that. Works and sounds great. I also put in a sub woofer amp.

Tim Boyer 10-02-2020 02:25 PM

Thanks, I saw one of these on eBay awhile ago but didn’t get it. Will have to look again!

On more question regarding speakers. My 928 has 2 speakers in each front door (tweeter and a regular one), 2 speakers on each side by the rear seats, and 2 speakers at the rear on either side panel. Does this sound correct? Here’s my question? The head unit seems to have connections for 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers. If I have 4 speakers on either side how would I connect the speakers so they all work correctly? I have a amp but it doesn’t do much different. So how do I make all of this work?
Thanks for any input anyone can give me on this!

harborman 10-03-2020 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Boyer (Post 11049413)
Thanks, I saw one of these on eBay awhile ago but didnít get it. Will have to look again!

On more question regarding speakers. My 928 has 2 speakers in each front door (tweeter and a regular one), 2 speakers on each side by the rear seats, and 2 speakers at the rear on either side panel. Does this sound correct? Hereís my question? The head unit seems to have connections for 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers. If I have 4 speakers on either side how would I connect the speakers so they all work correctly? I have a amp but it doesnít do much different. So how do I make all of this work?
Thanks for any input anyone can give me on this!

I bypassed the fader control and used the one in the radio. Also, my car had a stock amp mounted on the passenger side. I disconnected it. I used all the stock speakers as they were wired except for the fader and amp which I bypassed..

honerboys 10-03-2020 08:32 AM

tim - my 84 has the same speaker setup - so yours sounds correct - i removed the factory fader and wired the two rears (one by seat and one by hatch) on each side together as right and left rear on head unit - let the head unit control fade - as i recall i ran new wires to all rear speakers - seemed easier than using the mess of wires at the factory fader

Tim Boyer 10-03-2020 01:15 PM

Thanks! That is what I was planning to do if there weren’t any other suggestions that sounded better.

Tim Boyer 10-12-2020 12:48 PM

Hi
I bought a subwoofer like the one described above however it did not come with the electrical connector that fits into the side of the speaker. By any chance does anyone have one or know where I could get one? I may have to go to local junk yards for this piece. Anyone know the wiring for this piece in case I have to make my own connector.
Thank you,
Tim

harborman 10-13-2020 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Boyer (Post 11062030)
Hi
I bought a subwoofer like the one described above however it did not come with the electrical connector that fits into the side of the speaker. By any chance does anyone have one or know where I could get one? I may have to go to local junk yards for this piece. Anyone know the wiring for this piece in case I have to make my own connector.
Thank you,
Tim

That connector in the picture looks like one sold at Radio Shack. You need the female part. I would think you can find one on Ebay, or just buy a matching set of connectors and rewire. You should be able to test the wires with an Ohm meter.