Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1983 928S Euro - Instrument Cluster Issues

I just bought a pretty decent 1983 928S – ROW Model about two months ago. Not a lot of mechanical problems for what I could see and hear. There was a vacuum leak that has been addressed and one of my window switches was toast, so that’s been replaced. I was able to pass smog this weekend in Nevada, got it registered and drove it for hours this past weekend. Couldn’t be a happier man! BUT there’s still one big thing I haven’t been able to address or pinpoint the cause, so hopefully you guys can lead me to the right direction.

Some of my gauges in the instrument cluster work intermittently , the odometer works from time to time. It seems to work when the dimmer dial on the bottom dash is positioned in a certain way, at least that’s what I’ve noticed. The speedometer works intermittently as well, again it seems to be working when I move the dimmer dial, as soon as I do that the battery, and speedometer gauge jumps but only the speedometer works after that, not the battery. Temperature, gas and oil gauges are pegged to the top without movement, battery is also pegged but jumps when the dimmer dial is moved as I stated earlier. I took the car to a very reputable Porsche mechanic here in Vegas, they gave me several options, all leading to taking apart the dash and looking into the back of the instrument cluster.

I honestly think the problem may lie in the fuse box, I tested each fuse connector and only received a reading for a few, all fuse connectors from 14-22 I did not receive any reading but the power seats work, the fuel pump works, windows work…so why would I not be having any reading?
CE Panel number for my 83 Porsche 928S ROW is 928.610.105.06, would that be compatible with a CE panel number 928.610.105.05? I saw one online for cheap, I’m thinking that if it’s compatible I can simply swap it out and maybe kill a dozen birds with one stone?

Other electrical problems I’m having are the high beams on my headlights don’t work. Low beams work fine.
Signal light (left, right or emergency lights do not work).
Brake light works, backing up light works.
Dash illumination light works, but I saw some of the previous owners notes that it just needed a new filament.

I’m a Porsche newbie, but I’m eager to learn more about my car. I don’t want to depend on a mechanic for work I can do myself.
Thank you all for your feedback.

Last edited by Juan Porsche; 09-30-2013 at 03:41 PM..
Old 09-30-2013, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Old 09-30-2013, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Network Native

The back of the instruments have a flexible circuit board and the contacts tend to eventually fail on it, both fingers that are used as connectors to the wiring harness in the car and connections soldered to the instruments. Some years are easy to replace, some no longer available as new parts.

Cleaning all the fuse, relay, and ground points is a good start.

You should plan on coming out to Anaheim for Sharktoberfest at 928Intl, Oct 17-19 iirc.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I had the exact same issue. I could smack the pod and the gauge would react. I pulled the pod, had a good look at the flexible circuit board, and found that ALL of the instrument terminal screws were backed off halfway. These screws connect the instruments to their respective circuits on the board.

I tightened them all down, re-installed the pod, and all worked fine.

The PO had a shop go in and replace the light bulbs in the cluster, and apparently failed to torque the screws. He paid $1500 for that service.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
What do you guys recommend I do about the signal lights not working? When I turn the blinkers on, I see the blinker light turn on the dashboard but that's about it. I've replaced the fuses, the next step is to replace or test using new bulbs, but other than that, any suggestions?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Replace the bulbs.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Porsche View Post
What do you guys recommend I do about the signal lights not working? When I turn the blinkers on, I see the blinker light turn on the dashboard but that's about it. I've replaced the fuses, the next step is to replace or test using new bulbs, but other than that, any suggestions?
It is also important to use the correct bulbs when you replace them, and it is advisable to replace both sides bulbs when you do. If the bulbs are "different" side to side the light computer will report a failure....
1956 Intermeccanica 356 Speedster (sold),1957 Intermeccanica 356 Speedster (sold),,1985.5 Porsche 944 (sold),1955 Thunder Ranch 550 Spyder (sold), 1955 Outlaw 356 Speedster (currently in build out), 1984 Porsche 928S (White), 1984 Porsche 928S (Red)
Old 10-02-2013, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Update:
Well I haven't messed around with the Instrument Cluster but I did manage to resolve the blinker issue. It was probably the easiest and most inexpensive fix so far. The flasher/turn signal relay slot had the wrong relay, I simply replaced it and the blinkers started working. I replaced both rear turn signal bulbs and stop bulbs too, just in case.

Now I'm getting a "Bremslicht" warning light which means the Stop Lamps are out, which doesn't make sense because I replaced them. The warning light comes on whenever I press the brakes, which I think that's what's suppose to happen, but it stays on for about 2-3 minutes which based on other threads means that the stop lights are burned. Any ideas on how to get this issue resolved?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Lamp Control Unit -

Hey Juan, There is a Lamp Control Unit that monitors the tail and brake lights that you should check. I think on your car it is behind the dash (perhaps someone can provide a more exact location). Using a wiring diagram you can jumper past the LCU to test and verify that the external brake light circuits from the brake pedal switch to the rear brake bulbs are good.

Don't neglect to make sure you installed the correct brake light bulbs ......

Good Luck, Michael

1975 911 Targa "Blue"

Last edited by JK McDonald; 10-07-2013 at 08:22 AM..
Old 10-07-2013, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: