Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rust Issue under headlamp washer

Hi All,

I have some serious rust under the headlamp washer unit.
I was wondering what was the best way to tackle this issue.
If needed i can remove the washer unit and post more pics.

There are many rust removal products available with mixed reviews.
So i thought i'd ask here where the pro's are!!

I dont mind patching it up as best as possible for now and it does seem an inevitable respray for the entire car will be needed but after i get the rest of the car back to good working order though there is not that much to do, mainly the interior of the car needs some attention which is what will be expensive as well as a respray.

I just performed part of a service and im finishing the rest off when i get my jack and can find the small round air filter. this has seriously improved the fuel economy not that i know what i get but i went out yesterday and the needle didnt move!! The engine is much quieter which is a shame as it didnt sound bad just very sporty with a lot of bass like a sports exhaust was fitted but now removed. In any case im sure this is for the better of the car.

Porsche 928 S2 1984 Euro Spec

Porsche 928 S2 4.7 Auto Euro Spec 1984 Grand Prix White with Red leather Interior. Original car, no Mods.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
hey tiger - the small air pump filter is right in the middle of the picture below

Old 10-14-2017, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by honerboys View Post
hey tiger - the small air pump filter is right in the middle of the picture below

Hi honerboys,

perfect, that is where i thought it was due to its size, the only issue i have with that is that the nut and top is quite rusty. The nut however does come off but the top does not. I did try to give it a gentle tap with a small hammer but as i wasn't sure if it was the right place i didn't give it too much of a hit. Anyway I will give it another spray of WD40 but from underneath to see if that loosens it. Not sure i wanna see the state of the filter, i'm sure it will be quite dirty, but you never know.

Perfect information for me though, thank you very much for your advice and the picture.

tiger928

Porsche 928 S2 4.7 Auto Euro Spec 1984 Grand Prix White with Red leather Interior. Original car, no Mods.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Hi All,

just some info.

So i went to get off the cover for the air filter but it was stuck due to rust on the lid. I tried tapping it with a hammer and WD40 but it didn't work.
So i got the oil filter removal tool which is the adjustable spring loaded one and used this.
It was a tight fit to get it in there and out again, but it worked. it was quite tough but i got there
in the end. I'm now using some rust dip on the lid and nut, though the nut isn't too rusty, even the lid isnt that bad. i have some black hammerite and will see how that works, if not ill just buy a new one.
The rust dip works overnight so i will see how it goes in the morning, im hoping that should be all it needs as its not that bad and only the lid is rusty and not the filter housing.
I did vacuum the filter housing as it was dirty in there.

I cant use the rust dip on the headlamp washer unit so i'm still looking for help with this, just info
on how best to tackle the problem.

thanks for all the info ive had from you guys

Old 10-15-2017, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
spray the rusted areas with PB blaster and let them sit ,
a soaked rag will work better ,
the PB will dissolve the rust it takes a while,
then once thats good wire brush the area then wipe with acetone,
then use a rust converter then prime then paint ,
you could leave the tank off since you will never use it
Old 10-15-2017, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmerlin View Post
spray the rusted areas with PB blaster and let them sit ,
a soaked rag will work better ,
the PB will dissolve the rust it takes a while,
then once thats good wire brush the area then wipe with acetone,
then use a rust converter then prime then paint ,
you could leave the tank off since you will never use it
Thanks Mrmerlin,

great info, not sure what PB blaster is but i'm on it and will find out.
You also answered another question of mine which was leaving the unit off as i dont use it in any case. I dont even know how to activate it. if it is activated by the windscreen washer or if there is another button!! It seems they activated it for the MOT here in the U.K, not sure why but i had to clean the marks it made off the front of the car!

great info, i'll follow your guidelines.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
read the owners manual
Old 10-20-2017, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger928 View Post
Thanks Mrmerlin,

great info, not sure what PB blaster is but i'm on it and will find out.
You also answered another question of mine which was leaving the unit off as i dont use it in any case. I dont even know how to activate it. if it is activated by the windscreen washer or if there is another button!! It seems they activated it for the MOT here in the U.K, not sure why but i had to clean the marks it made off the front of the car!

great info, i'll follow your guidelines.
You will find the button that operates the " Intensive wash " is located under the ignition switch along with a "wheel" that you turn to set intermittent wipe of your wipers, you could almost press this button with your right knee whilst driving.., it only operates a short burst of "Special silicone cleaning solution" a Porsche part.., and you follow up with your windscreen wash and wipe.

Iv'e just finished a complete R/R on my washer system's ie, new screen wash pump etc PITA to get to that one, and I also removed the screen wash tank and completely cleaned it out, don't know if our uk cars are different but in my uk car there is only one steel reinforcement tube in the tank and it's at the filler neck of the tank, I removed that, but the filler tube from the engine bay is a moulded rubber pipe that connects straight to the tank top fill hole where I cut the rusty pipe out of, no rusty pipe in that one. I also checked, cleaned and painted h/light wash pump, and everything including the intensive wash pump, water level, w/screen and headlight wash work now.

BTW if you do want the int/wash to work you will find the pump mounted below the bonnet catch ,ie bonnet slam panel will be seized, easy enough to check, just remove the four screws on the end and it will come off to reveal the motor spindle this is what's usually seized.

A few squirts of penetrating oil and gently turn it with some pliers, once freed lightly oil the spindle. I put a short plastic tube over the spindle and filled it with a very light oil and left it overnight, next day a little gentle turning and it was smooth turning and working fine.

As has been mentioned no one really uses this intensive wash, I just like things that are on the car to work irrespective of function or use.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
i fill that intensive washer tank with regular washer fluid and call it my reserve washer - here in colorado there is a lot of splashback from melting snow in the winter and you don't want to be caught driving without some washer fluid - kind of moot though as this car never sees snow - i do squirt some through that pump every now and then to keep it working
Old 10-21-2017, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honerboys View Post
i fill that intensive washer tank with regular washer fluid and call it my reserve washer - here in colorado there is a lot of splashback from melting snow in the winter and you don't want to be caught driving without some washer fluid - kind of moot though as this car never sees snow - i do squirt some through that pump every now and then to keep it working
I was wondering about just useing neat screen wash fluid, thank's for the tip, as the Porsche fluid is expensive here. Also and as you say, mine too never sees inclement weather but it's a good idea to "excercise" the washer pumps regularly irrespective.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: