Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1985 Porsche 928s

No start condition - solved

Like many, I expect, I'm just now waking my 928 (1985) from its Winter snooze, or trying too. I turned my ignition key, got all the dash lights but absolutely no sign of life - no engine turning, no relays clicking or fuel pump priming.

My battery level was fine (13.6 volts) so I suspected ground straps. While sourcing those, I checked the voltage at the body ground attachment bolt in the trunk, at the jump post and at the engine block. All were around 13.6 volts.

Jiggling the ignition key up and down while turned did nothing to help, as it might have done if the ignition switch was worn. I noticed that the instrument panel or interior lights did not dim at all when turning the key from on to start so I figured it might be the starter relay. I checked that the horn was working then used the horn relay for the starter. Queue the happy dance.

I feel lucky that it wasn't something more complex. Interesting that she was fine when parked for the Winter but the relay either went bad or got stuck just sitting there.

Kinda' makes up for me denting my fender after the piece of dowling holding the hood up (new hood and trunk struts are on the list) slipped and the hood crashed down on it. Queue the rage dance.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
isn't 13.6 volts high with no start?? i thought when the car was running and the alternator kicked in then it should be around the 14v. but what would i know i have a battery issue myself which im trying to solve

check your fuel pump. otherwise stick 5 cans of wd40 all over the car from engine to boot ...
only joking 2 cans will do it
Old 03-10-2018, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Load View Post
isn't 13.6 volts high with no start?? i thought when the car was running and the alternator kicked in then it should be around the 14v. but what would i know i have a battery issue myself which im trying to solve

check your fuel pump. otherwise stick 5 cans of wd40 all over the car from engine to boot ...
only joking 2 cans will do it
Normally the battery should be sitting at around 12.46V, charging around 13.8V. Measuring can have some inconsistencies.

Sometimes when cars sit around a long time, not used, electrical contacts become corroded and malfunction. I noticed my right mirror the other day did not want to move. After some pushing of the switch it finally worked, so I ran it through some cycles a few times. Also good to keep a few of those common relays as spares in your car.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L
Old 03-10-2018, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: