Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Spring plate end cap bushing installation

Anyone done this before - press the OE rubber bushing back to the end cap?
I was told it should be pressed in - is this correct? What I know is:
- One end is smaller OD of the mushroom like end.
- Smaller OD needs to go from the FR end on the cap - the end away from the torsion bar hole in the casting. That end is with the slightly larger ID than the other end.
- Lubed a xxxt out of all of it and got it in my press. Started pressing the bushing in. The lip (mushroom) part does not want to get in (of course), core of the bushing is sinking into the cavity and stretching, stretching the lip, ... It does not tear, and lip is starting to thin out and just before it almost got to look like it will be sucked into the cavity my press run out of stroke...
To my surprise, it came out in tack as good as before - who ever engineered this bushing did a hell of a job. The best rubber / vulcanization I have seen in my life.

Bottom line - am I doing it wrong? Porsche is selling this as an OE Service Part but zero info in WSM how to get this in and what specialty tool to be used. Do I like need to just keep pressing it in - if I find a press with 5 inches stroke?
Or something else?

Old 06-06-2016, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
The last time I did this, I used a hose clamp to clamp the smaller shoulder down to the same diameter of the body of the bushing. You should lube the inside of the housing hole and the hole clamp before inserting the bushing. Place the hose clamp on top of the hole and while holding the clamp firmly in place, press the bushing into the hole. Same concept as installing piston rings.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
944 , 944s , 944s2 , 951 , bushing