Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
KBailey

Rear axle, cv boot replacement

Iím replacing the starter in my Ď92 C4, & noticed a torn CV boot. I have the inner side of axle removed but am getting conflicting info on whether or not I need to remove the outside axle nut, or is there a c-clip somewhere in the grease of the outer joint. Iíve looked for c-clip but have not found. I would like to know before buying new nut & torque wrench that is needed for 339ft/lbs .
Old 01-24-2019, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The big castelated nut has to come off in order to pull the axle out. Heat helps, plus a long steel tube over your breaker bar. Or an air impact if you have access. I usually remove the lower shock bolt (also a lot of torque) too. This allows the control arm to drop lower and gives more room to maneuver the axle out. Disassembling the axle to replace the boots is a whole other pain. Not a fun job!

Ps- No reason to buy a giant torque wrench. Just use a pipe of length 339/your weight and stand on it.

Last edited by nickd; 01-25-2019 at 03:35 AM..
Old 01-25-2019, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickd View Post
Ps- No reason to buy a giant torque wrench. Just use a pipe of length 339/your weight and stand on it.
The Hillbilly torque wrench mentioned, requires a known dimensional position mark on the pipe from the head of the wrench.

Renting a torque wrench would be preferable when retorquing the nut
85 911 Factory Turbo-Look Targa (Gone)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine9six View Post
The Hillbilly torque wrench mentioned, requires a known dimensional position mark on the pipe from the head of the wrench.
Bumping a month old thread to call simple physics a hillbilly method? Interesting. If you canít measure the distance from your hand on the pipe to the center of the socket, then I concede Iíve never had an axle nut loosen. How accurate do you think that your rented torque wrench is going to be?
Old 03-06-2019, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: