Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

993 chain tensioner replacement?

Hi to all!

I hear a ticking sound on the left timing chain cover of my '95 993. My mechanic used a stethoscope and says it could be the chain tensioner. Six months ago, this same tensioner was installed in reverse position and we ran the noisy engine idle for about 15mins until we discovered the mistake. Could that error prematurely wear the chain tensioner? What other parts should I replace?

thanks for your help.

Randy
Old 12-08-2009, 06:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Owner, Callas Rennsport

Randy, I am trying to understand your post. Did you say the chain tensioner was previously installed improperly such as upside down or on the wrong side of the engine? Are you using Mobil-1 or a similar 15w-50 Synthetic engine oil? Is the ticking noise on a valve cover or the chain housing cover? Is is really a ticking or a very light knock?
http://www.callasrennsport.com
Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCallas View Post
Randy, I am trying to understand your post. Did you say the chain tensioner was previously installed improperly such as upside down or on the wrong side of the engine? Are you using Mobil-1 or a similar 15w-50 Synthetic engine oil? Is the ticking noise on a valve cover or the chain housing cover? Is is really a ticking or a very light knock?
Upside down. Engine sounded like a noisy diesel. When corrected, engine sounded fine except for a very occassional 'tick' that wasn't bothersome.

I'm using Mobil1. It's more of ticking than knock on the chain housing cover, disappears at idle and comes on as I slowly rev up. Noise seems louder now than before.

What is the average lifespan of these chain tensioners for 993?
Old 12-08-2009, 10:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The chain tensioners are a non issue with the 993. Why were they off in the first place?

There should some tick noise due to the lifters. If the engine was apart for some time, the lifters might need some time to pump up & make noise till they do. If the noise if to much for to long, my money would be on the lifters.

Of course if something was apart & assembled wrong, that could be it as well. I don't understand how something was installed backwards up there.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
It is very easy to install the tensioner backward. They looked almost the same except for the oil feed hole. When installed backward, the tesnsioner doesn't get any oil pressure to tension up the chain ramp beyond the spring. The impact of this? I don't know.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
What frequency is the ticking in relationship to the rpm of the crank?

George
Old 12-09-2009, 09:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Old 12-09-2009, 09:40 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: